The Media Relations Manager is responsible for developing and executing media relations for the Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive. Under minimal supervision, they plan short- and long-term strategies to increase audience, exposure, and support for film and exhibition programs and institutional activities.
*Manages media relations for art and film programs. Generates maximum press coverage of BAMPFA and co-sponsored events and initiatives through media outlets.
*Works with local, national, and international print, radio, television, and internet media outlets to garner press coverage.
*Proactively pitches/solicits news stories, exhibition and film reviews, previews and creates and supplies information and materials, oversees interviews and maintains on-going relationships with media personnel.
*Writes, edits, and proofreads press releases, advance exhibition schedules, movie guide information, news stories and other communications collateral and campaigns as assigned, and disseminates materials.
*Meets critics, art and film writers, camera crews, and other media personnel at film screenings, art exhibitions, public programs, and other institutional events.
*Interfaces between director, curators, artists, and filmmakers and press.
*Cultivates industry contacts on an ongoing basis.
*Produces press conferences and other major news announcements as necessary.
*Speaks publically on behalf of the museum at press and other public events.
*Supervises the creation of press kits and other collateral as needed.
*Creates, develops, and maintains database of press contacts, public relations contacts, community contacts, and other institutions, etc.
*Ensures that BAMPFA’s messages reach the widest possible audiences by building and cultivating relationships with other arts and nonprofits and campus units.
*Participates in, and may lead, social media activities for museum, including creating visuals, posting, and building innovative engagement strategies.
*Assists in achieving long-range media relations strategies of BAMPFA by serving on campus committees, as assigned by the Director of Marketing and Communications, that focus on public and media relations, and other communication topics including the use of social media and related technologies.
*Works with BAMPFA Director of Marketing and Communications to conceive media relations strategy and shape institutional image in our highly competitive industry and market.
*Works with BAMPFA staff as needed to ensure continuity of BAMPFA’s media messaging,
*Produces photography for institution and events.
*Supervises student assistants in the collating and distribution of media relations materials, archive materials, social media postings, general clerical duties and other duties as assigned.
• Thorough knowledge of the concepts and principles of news, media communications and media relations.
• Knowledge of media outlets to solicit, shape and disseminate news coverage.
• Knowledge of the BAMPFA, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, objectives, programs and infrastructure.
• Broad knowledge of contemporary and historical art and film as well as museum practices and the arts industry.
• Demonstrated strong writing skills to prepare a variety of materials for public consumption, as well as for inter-departmental communications.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to express ideas clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
• Excellent working knowledge of still photography and short-form video.
• Knowledge of Mac OS and MS Office; Filemaker; Google mail, calendar, and Drive; Adobe Acrobat.
• Demonstrated experience in managing social media and general understanding of digital analytics and media strategy.
• Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work under deadlines, which requires excellent organizational skills, time management efficiency, and careful attention to details.
• Analytical skills to interpret data and prepare conclusions.
• Highly developed written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
• A strong sense of a good story and an understanding of the topics that may be of interest to various publics and will incorporate key museum and campus messages.
• Good judgment, political acumen, and thorough organizational skills.
• Strong commitment to confidentiality.