The Reference and Instruction Librarian performs highly specialized, professional duties in the areas of library Research, Reference, and Instruction, to support and fully engage in the educational mission of the School and the success of its students.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs highly specialized, professional duties in the areas of library Research, Reference, and Instruction, to support and fully engage in the educational mission of the School and the success of its students.
2. Areas of performance include (but are not limited to):
- participating in the design, delivery, and evaluation of front-line library services to the SAIC community;
- course-integrated, web-based, and other approaches to information literacy instruction;
- providing research consultations and reference services;
- collaborating with colleagues throughout the library and the campus to optimize the user’s experience of library collections and services;
- current knowledge of traditional and emerging technologies and best practices relevant to the assigned areas of responsibility.
3. Proactively engages the School’s agenda for student success.
4. Promotes best practices for a student-centered library.
5. Participates in building the library’s main collections (both physical and digital).
6. Contributes as needed to planning, policy development, and assessment for the Flaxman Library.
7. Serves as formal liaison to one or more curricular programs at SAIC.
8. Participates as assigned in: activities of other Flaxman Library work groups; and internal or external committees and projects.
9. In the absence of the Research and Access Services Librarian and the Access Services Manager, may supervise: Senior Access Services Assistant, Circulation Assistant, and Student Workers as assigned.
10. Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to the educational mission of the School and respect for all members of the campus community.
- Master’s degree in Library or Information Science or related field.
- Background in the arts or humanities.
- Some experience working in a library, archive, or similar institution.
- Demonstrable knowledge of current issues and best practices for library Research, Reference and Instruction.
- Knowledge of vendors and delivery systems for current reference resources.
- Understanding of instructional methods and measures used by libraries.
- Proficiency using standard office software, web services, and networked environments.
- Proficiency using social media relevant to library outreach and instruction.
- Ability to work effectively within a team or independently.
- Professional experience in a similar position, especially at a school of art, design, or architecture.
- Proficiency using integrated library systems (ILS), OCLC, and/or other standard library technologies.
- Experience working in art- or design-related fields, especially at an independent, non-profit college of art and design.
- Teaching experience.
- Degree(s) in the visual arts, design, or architecture.
Job ID 9995