Deadline: April 27, 2008
Start Date: May 15, 2008
End Date: September 4, 2008
30 Hours a week
Position generously funding by STEP
TNG MANDATE: The New Gallery, an artist-run-centre, is a non-profit charitable society established in 1975. It is committed to providing a forum for a wide spectrum of critical discourse and multi-disciplinary practices within the contemporary visual arts. The New Gallery fosters the growth of the arts community, and the community at large, through the creation of local, national and international networks of understanding, collaboration and cooperation.
A priority of TNG has been the presentation and accessibility of the Gallery’s 30 plus year history through its extensive archive as a Resource Centre. Space constraints in the gallery’s new location have prevented TNG from housing the archives on-site. In order to continue to foster critical discourse and appreciation of contemporary art practices, TNG plans to reopen its Resource Centre in early 2009 to make this unique resource available to researchers. We are seeking a motivated, organized and creative individual to fill the summer contract position of a Project Librarian to assist in board discussions surrounding potential locations, in addition to planning, organizing and digitizing our archives.
Job Summary: The Project Librarian is responsible for the continued development and management of the collections of visual materials for The New Gallery’s Resource Room. He/She is to oversee a program to barcode the collection and for the full implementation of a digital image databases.
1. Develop policies and long-range planning for the collections, facilities, and services.
2. Organize, maintain, and expand our growing collection of digital images.
3. Catalog new images – both still and moving – into the collection.
4. Involves selecting and purchasing necessary software/hardware and project management.
5. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Familiarity with digital resource management software, and cataloguing digital imagery.
• Expertise with archives management, art/metadata standards and practices.
• Experience in creating, capturing, and processing images in a variety of digital formats.
• Strong technological skills in both Window and Macintosh environments, and working with design software.
• Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to orient board and staff in the use of the archives and computer applications.
• Ability to manage multiple projects, problem-solve.
To apply, please forward your resume and a cover letter in confidence to:
Jessica McCarrel, Administrative Director
The New Gallery
P.O. Box 22451 Bankers Hall RPO
Calgary, AB – T2P 5G7 – CANADA
Or by e-mail to: email@example.com ATT: Jessica McCarrel, Administrative Director The New Gallery Inquiries: p: 403.233.2399 firstname.lastname@example.org