About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology of the State University of New York, invites applications for the position of Part-Time Library Aide for the Library at FIT.
The Library Aide is responsible for providing general and specialized circulation assistance and services of a to the FIT/SUNY community in a courteous and efficient manner and in accordance with the Library’s policies and procedures.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Provide public service desk coverage and support the Unit’s mission and daily operations:
- Answer patron queries in person or on the phone, regarding library resources, services and campus information
- Page materials requested by library patrons and communicate access policies
- Assist patrons with the use of print and online catalogs
- Request technology assistants to support patrons upon request
- Responding to queries regarding photocopiers, scanners, microfilm readers
Collections / Access
- Maintain organization in reading rooms by shelving materials, shelf reading and inventory
- Provide assistance to the Inter-library Loan aides when necessary. Including, but not limited to managing incoming and outgoing interlibrary loan requests, generating requests using the ILLiad Interlibrary Loan system
- Work alongside with student workers, provide guidance in workflows and instruct them on unit processes
- General ALEPH (the Library’s integrated library system) maintenance, including, but not limited to linking, editing, or creating items in ALEPH. May also include troubleshooting ALEPH technical questions.
- Compiles, edits, and manages metadata and scanning for the Library’s Designer Files Collection
- Adding, creating, weeding images from the Library’s Picture File
- Perform duties such as filing, answering telephone and email inquiries, photocopying, scanning, and data entry
- Compiles statistics, maintains records on library integrated online software, processes materials daily and provides support to the Unit and its functions
- Maintain collection of Library handouts by service desk
- Responsible for opening or securing the closing of the Library as scheduled
- Special projects as assigned
- Schedule may change based on the needs of the department
Associate’s degree and one year of related experience year in an academic library or environment. Work experience must include not less than one year in a fast paced, customer-oriented service work environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Fundamental knowledge of the operation of an integrated library management system, with ALEPH experience desirable. Experience using technology applications such as ILLiad and Odyssey, Banner, or similar systems highly preferred. Ability to work quickly and accurately with detailed data. Ability to keyboard at least 25 wpm and proficiency in utilizing word processing and database software, preferably Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel.
Knowledge of computer graphics programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator a plus. Ability to trouble-shoot basic computer problems.
Must possess the ability to work with a diverse community, while exercising good judgment and common sense. Excellent customer service skills, including professional and courteous telephone communication and electronic mail correspondence. Must possess excellent conflict resolution skills, strong communication skills, tact, resourcefulness and the ability to identify and solve problems. Proven ability to work independently and effectively in a collegial manner in a changing environment.
Work is performed under typical library conditions with requirements for frequent sitting and standing for long periods of time, as well as frequent lifting and carrying of heavy library materials and maneuvering carts full of books. Ability to sit or stand for long intervals. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and push and pull 100 or more pounds.
Salary 88/0 $22.62 per hour (24 hours per week)
Work Schedule:Tues 11:00am?5:00pm; Wed, Thur 11:00am?6:00pm; Fri 12:30pm?6:30pm Occasional Saturday shifts may be expected
Applicants interested to apply MUST submit the following documents online.
* Cover letter
Returning Applicants – Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed