POSITION: Architecture Librarian (Librarian I or II), 6-month Contract Limited Term
DEPARTMENT: University of Toronto Libraries
DATE REQUIRED: July 1, 2017
Are you looking for challenging, meaningful work in a supportive and diverse environment? Are you looking for a career at one of Canada’s top employers? Work where the world comes to think, discover and learn. Consider a career at the University of Toronto.
About the University of Toronto Libraries
The University of Toronto Libraries (UTL) system is the largest academic library in Canada and is ranked fourth among peer institutions in North America. The system consists of 44 libraries located on three university campuses: St. George, Mississauga, and Scarborough. This array of college libraries, special collections, and specialized libraries and information centres supports the teaching and research requirements of 215 graduate programs, over 60 professional programs, and more than 700 undergraduate degree programs. In addition to more than 12 million print volumes, the library system currently provides access to millions of electronic resources in various forms and over 29,554 linear metres of archival material. More than 150,000 new print volumes are acquired each year. The Libraries’ data centre houses more than 200 servers with a storage capacity of 1.5 petabytes.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Librarian, University of Tornoto Libraries, the incumbent will be required to direct and manage the services, resources, and staff of the Shore + Moffat Library. This Research Leave replacement position offers an excellent opportunity to gain diverse experience in an academic environment. The John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design offers professional Masters degrees in Architecture (MArch), Landscape Architecture (MLA), Urban Design (MUD), Visual Studies (MVS), and Honours Bachelor of Arts (Honours BA) in Architectural Studies and Visual Studies.
Learn about the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Urban Design: http://www.daniels.utoronto.ca
- Conduct reference and research consultations with students and faculty
- Provide instruction on library resources and the research process, including embedded information literacy instruction
- Collection development in the areas of architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, visual studies
- Liaise with Daniels program directors, faculty, and students
- Supervise 1.7 library technicians, and oversee approximately 12 student assistants
- Supervise and coordinate library services – circulation, course reserves, collection maintenance, interlibrary loans
- Monitor issues with library equipment and liaise with IT at Daniels
- Serve on library and faculty committees
- Develop and maintain the library website
- ALA-accredited Master of Library Science degree or equivalent
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong organizational and problem solving skills, collaborative and responsive leadership skills, flexibility and a strong service orientation are essential
- Public service experience
- Excellent knowledge of print and electronic information resources appropriate for architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, and visual studies
- Must be able to work independently and with staff, students, faculty, administrators and the design community
- Experience as a librarian working with architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, and visual studies in an academic library
- Experience offering information literacy instruction
- At least one year’s professional experience in an academic library setting
- Supervisory experience in a unionized environment
Salary and Terms of Appointment
This is a Contractually Limited-Term appointment be filled at the Librarian I or II rank. Rank and salary will be commensurate with experience and academic/professional qualifications.
NOTE: Librarians at the University of Toronto are members of the University of Toronto Faculty Association.
Application Materials Required: A cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references of which at least two have supervised your work. Please send a single electronic file (MS Word or pdf) with a file name convention of [Surname, FirstName.Architecture] to Library Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org; or to Room 1140, 130 St. George Street, University of Toronto Libraries, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5; or by fax to (416) 946-5543 by May 7, 2017.
The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Toronto Libraries thanks all applicants but will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
University of Toronto Library System: http://onesearch.library.utoronto.ca/
University of Toronto: http://www.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/site3.aspx
Policies for librarians: http://www.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/faculty-librarians.htm
For full job posting visit: https://ischool.utoronto.ca/job/architecture-librarian-librarian-i-or-ii-6-month-contract-limited-term/