REPORTS TO: Library Director
SUPERVISES: Work-Study Students
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The Library Assistant works evening and weekend hours at the CCS Main Library. The Assistant helps with the daily operations of the library facility, and performs tasks related to access services and technical services. The Assistant also provides basic reference assistance and assists with other library projects as needed.
Position Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as evening and weekend supervisor at Main Library including overseeing work study students and enforcing library policies
- Assist with daily operations of the library facility and circulation services including material checkout, reference and technology support
- Assist with resource sharing initiatives including filling interlibrary loan, MeLcat and internal scanning requests
- Assist with resource processing from acquisition to shelving
- Create copy catalog records for new books and audiovisual materials by identifying and editing matching bibliographic records in OCLC Connexion
- Perform catalog maintenance projects as needed including reviewing existing items and records to correct errors
- Oversee stacks maintenance projects such as missing searches, shelf reading, shifting, weeding, etc.
- Assist with course reserve maintenance and upkeep
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience:
- Some college coursework preferred
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours
- Basic computing skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- Self-motivation, reliability, time management and punctuality
- Proven track record of increasing responsibility in previous employment
- Skills with detail-oriented work and complex analytical thinking and decision making
- Demonstrated interest in library cataloging standards and tools
- Ability to adapt to changing standards and evolving work-related expectations in a dynamic working environment
- Experience working in an academic library environment
- Basic understanding of library management systems, such as KOHA
- Experience supervising student workers
- Understanding of interlibrary loan processes including MeLcat
- Familiarity with bibliographic and cataloging systems, such as OCLC Connexion, Classification Web, Koha, RDA Toolkit
- Knowledge of MARC21, AACR2/RDA cataloging standards, LCSH
This job operates in an academic environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment, such as computers, phones, photocopiers, rolling stacks, and displays.
This position requires the ability to lift 25 pounds.
College for Creative Studies is a nonprofit institution; it is one of the leading art and design colleges in the world. CCS has state-of-the-art facilities to support the complete range of creative production, from traditional art forms such as painting, glassblowing, foundry, and printmaking to the most contemporary systems, including the latest digital imaging technology and extensive rapid prototyping output tools. The College currently enrolls more than 1,400 undergraduate and graduate students. It offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 13 majors: Advertising Copywriting, Advertising Design, Entertainment Arts, Art Education, Crafts, Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Illustration, Interior Design, Photography, Product Design, and Transportation Design. A new BFA in Fashion Accessories Design will launch in fall 2015. It also offers the Master of Fine Arts degree in Color and Materials Design, Interaction Design, Integrated Design, and Transportation Design. These programs are based in a unique and dynamic interdisciplinary environment that provides students with the ideal educational setting; the success of the alumni validates the quality of the program. CCS is ranked by LinkedIn as a top 3 design school in the US and the best in the Midwest-based on alumni success.
How to Apply
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. The search will close when a suitable candidate is hired. Interested candidates should submit a resume and letter of application to: firstname.lastname@example.org