Job Title Assistant Librarian, Digital Archivist
Agency Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi
Department Library Operations Staff
Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate
Job Location Corpus Christi, Texas
Job Type Faculty
The Mary and Jeff Bell Library at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (TAMU-CC) is seeking a Digital Archivist to create access to digital research resources and employs professional standards to continue the development of the Archives’ digital program. The Archivist processes digital collections, provides leadership to ensure the organization’s long-term preservation of digitized and born-digital material, including university records and manuscript collections, and works closely with the Special Collections and Archives Director to provide access to these materials. The ideal candidate will have a passion for history, digital archival processing and project management experience, strong organizational, planning, and problem-solving skills.
The successful candidate will display an understanding of how to implement principles of digital archiving standards and identify emerging technologies that promote digital preservation and access. This librarian will provide advice, training, and support for library staff involved in the implementation of digital preservation and collaborate with the appropriate Library Technology Services staff in maintaining a functional digital preservation and access platform. This librarian will participate in the initiatives and programs of the Special Collections and Archives department and collaborate closely with Bell Library and the University community at large.
- Leads the development of digital asset projects
- Develops, implements, and executes processes enabling appraisal, acquisition, arrangement, description, and preservation of born-digital, and hybrid archive collections using best standards and practices
- Creates and encodes finding aids using Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS), ArchivesSpace, and Encoded Archival Description (EAD)
- Manages online public access and web dissemination platforms including website, DSpace repository, and Omeka
- Partners with and works alongside information technology staff from the library, campus, and Texas Digital Library (TDL) to support the digital collections program; digital collections software and hardware; and library digital initiatives
- Manages the Special Collections department’s web archiving program, including creating and monitoring web crawls with Archive-It, performs quality control checks, and creates descriptive metadata for web content that accords with professional standards
- Works with the Scholarly Communications Librarian to grow and manage scholarly digital collections in the TAMU-CC Repository
- Serves as a subject liaison and participates in subject area collection development, information literacy instruction, student research consultations, and subject guide maintenance
- Increases professional competence through formal or informal study and professional development activities
- Participates in research and scholarly/creative activities and serves on library, university, and/or professional committees
- Works on campus predominately, works remotely when required
The Mary and Jeff Bell Library provides resources and services to assist users with their research and information needs. Over ½ million items are listed in the online catalog, and many more items are accessible through our electronic resources. Over 340 online databases and over 150,000 print and electronic journals through subscriptions and full-text databases contain scholarly material to assist students in completing research projects or assignments. The Library provides both in-person and virtual reference service, research skills and information literacy instruction, interlibrary loan, an I-Create makerspace lab, and over 170 computers for research and coursework. Special Collections and Archives houses a wealth of resources focusing on Corpus Christi, the Coastal Bend, and South Texas.
- Master of Library Science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program
- One-year professional experience
- Experience with archival collections management tools such as ArchivesSpace
- Experience accessioning or processing archival and manuscript materials, either analog or born-digital
- Experience with tools and software used to capture, manage, and deliver born-digital records, including web archiving activities and tools such as BitCurator, Bagit, Fixity, & Archive-It
- Experience providing and preserving access to web-based content using ArchivesSpace, D-Space, and Omeka
- Knowledge of relevant standards for archival description and preservation including Dublin Core, RDA, DACS, EAD, LCSH, and familiarity with other metadata standards
- Ability to work with a variety of different departments within the library and university
- A high degree of technical facility, and the demonstrated ability to learn new technical skills through research and self study
- Consistent accuracy and attention to detail while maintaining a high level of productivity
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a university in which students are diverse about many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion
- Two (2) years of related experience
- Supervisory experience
- Experience in grant writing
- Knowledge of legal and ethical issues affecting privacy, records restrictions, and access, as they pertain to born-digital materials
- Instruction experience providing subject-specific information literacy
TO APPLY: http://hr.tamucc.edu/careers/
All required documentation must be submitted to be considered for the position.
A completed application will include:
1. A letter of application.
2. A current curriculum vitae.
3. A list of three professional references.
The job posting will remain open until a finalist has been selected.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.