Institution:Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Location: New Brunswick, NJ
Category: Admin – Libraries
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Project Technician for the University Libraries. This position will participate in an NEH awarded grant to make New Jersey’s historical newspapers available digitally through the Library of Congress’ Chronicling America online collection.
Among the key duties of the position are the following:
- Performs daily activities associated with the conversion of historic New Jersey newspapers from microfilm to digital, under the supervision of the New Jersey National Newspaper Project Manager.
- Examines the quality of microfilm, collating microfilm pages to enable correct digitizing, tracking shipments of microfilm to and from vendors, quality control for microfilm and digital files returned by vendors, and working with the Project Manager and vendors to resolve identified errors (remotely via vendor website and in house, using locally installed tools).
- Identifies articles of interest to the PI and Project Manager for the project blog and other outreach and writing blog posts about the projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Hours Per Week: 19.5
Position Salary: $18.00-21.00/hr
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Terms of Appointment: Temporary Staff Appointment – Hourly
Minimum Education and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, history, or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Requires a minimum of 6 months of relevant experience in Special Collections and University Archives.
- Knowledge of New Jersey history strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with WordPress.
- Experience working with microfilm strongly preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills. – Self-directed, detail oriented, and strong problem solving and time management skills.
- Demonstrated research and writing skills.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs.
Posting Open Date: 12/21/2020
Posting Close Date: 01/04/2021
Regional Campus: Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus: College Ave (RU-New Brunswick)
Contact:Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Online App. Form:https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/124187
Rutgers is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer