The New England Chapter of the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) is now accepting applications for our student scholarship, the Elmar W. Seibel Scholarship. Applications are due via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12pm (eastern) Monday, November 30th.
The purpose of this award is to support and encourage future art, visual, and/or cultural heritage information professionals living in New England by helping to defray student expenses (tuition, professional development, conference attendance, housing, materials, etc.).
Applicants must be:
- aspiring information professionals who are interested in a career in art librarianship, visual resources, and/or cultural heritage
- In response to the pandemic, we are expanding the criteria this year to include those either currently living in New England while enrolled or accepted into an ALA-accredited school of library and information science or those temporarily living elsewhere but currently enrolled or accepted into an ALA-accredited LIS program in New England
We welcome applications from students whose identity, experiences, scholarship, and/or service have prepared them to contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our Chapter and the profession.
$500 in award funding will be distributed to one applicant by December 31, 2020. Chapter members have generously contributed to the Seibel Scholarship fund over the years and donations are always welcome.
Applicants should send:
- a letter describing themselves and their interest in art librarianship, visual resources, and/or cultural heritage
- proof of enrollment (course schedule, transcript, etc.) in, or an acceptance letter from, an ALA-accredited school of library and information science
- If the school is outside of New England, please also provide proof of New England residency.
Award recipients are required to provide a brief written account of how they use the Seibel funds to help finance their education and/or professional growth. This account must be submitted to the ARLIS/NA New England Chapter Board no later than one month from the date of award disbursal (to be determined, but this will be before December 31, 2020).
The Elmar W. Seibel Scholarship was established in the summer of 2001 to honor ARLIS/NA New England Chapter Life Member Elmar Seibel, a respected book dealer, bibliographer, curator, and collector, and esteemed friend to art libraries and art librarians regionally, nationally, and internationally. Elmar Seibel is founder and president of Ars Libri Ltd., in Boston, a company that has since 1976 served as a resource for scholars, librarians, collectors, and artists. Applications are due via email to email@example.com by noon Monday, November 30th.