Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm.
The Library Operations Manager position manages the public services and operations of the Murphy Art & Architecture Library (located in first level of Spencer Museum of Art), including direct supervision of student employees, supervision of one full-time library assistant, oversight of interlibrary loan services and library facilities. The Library Operations Manager fosters and maintains quality customer service and reliable staffing and operations in the Art & Architecture Library. This dynamic, user-focused position reports to the Director of Public Operations and works collaboratively with the Fine Arts and Humanities Librarian, Access Services and other KU Libraries staff.
The Operations Manager position also oversees and manages the popular LibArt program at KU Libraries. LibArt is a year-long exhibition of student submitted art (physical and digital) displayed in four libraries. The Operations Manager leads the LibArt committee to manage all operations associated with successfully running the program in accordance with established timelines, resources and procedures.
The University of Kansas Libraries support a safe and inclusive environment for all members of our diverse communities at KU. We are committed to building a diverse and pluralistic workforce and strongly encourage applications from diverse candidates. This position will demonstrate a commitment to advancing diversity efforts in the Libraries and contributes to an inclusive environment.
Job Description50% Library Management
- Manages daily operations of library services: oversees the opening and closing process, assures appropriate information, services, and referrals are being provided.
- Manages service desk communication and scheduling processes to ensure consistent student employee coverage of all service hours.
- Provides circulation supervision at the Art & Architecture Library service desk.
- Oversees Art & Architecture Library interlibrary loan operations and coordinates activities with resource sharing staff.
- Processes faculty requested items for on-site course reserves.
- Works collaboratively with supervisor and other library staff to assist with the development and assessment of service quality initiatives.
- Monitors and ensures adherence to service quality standards.
- Maintains records and prepares statistical reports relating to the responsibilities and operations of the service desk.
- Responds to library user and staff concerns regarding difficult situations, safety issues and inappropriate behavior.
- Interprets and enforces library and university policy. Recommends changes and/or adjustments in library policy to supervisor and library administration to efficiently and effectively accomplish service desk and library objectives.
20% Employee Supervision and Budget Management
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates the Art & Architecture Library full-time Library Assistant position.
- Manages procedures regarding recruitment, selection, training, evaluation and discipline of approximately 10-12 student assistants.
- Provides leadership and direction for student employees to achieve optimal workflow efficiencies and unit goals and to deliver high quality customer service.
- Effectively manages the Art & Architecture Library student employee budget.
- Acts as liaison on student personnel issues with the Libraries’ human resources staff.
10% Manage the LibArt Student Art Exhibition in Libraries Program
- Oversees and manages the annual LibArt program that entails posting of submitted student art work (physical and digital) in four library locations.
- Leads the LibArt committee to successfully fulfill the key elements of the program, populating the libraries with student physical and digital art and managing an annual judging and awards process and ceremony for such works.
- Follows existing procedures, guidelines and resources to manage the program.
10% Shelving Management and Building Management
- Oversees shelving operations, which can include shifting and relocation projects.
- Consults, when appropriate, with the fine arts and humanities librarian in managing the collections.
- Assists Director of Public Operations and Libraries Administration in the monitoring of maintenance, repair and renovation issues in the Art & Architecture Library.
- Submits and monitors work orders with Facilities Services as appropriate.
- Collaborates with supervisor and others as it relates to the implementation of emergency procedures as needed.
5% Research Assistance
- Provides research assistance to patrons and records transactions using library assessment tools.
- Refers in-depth research questions to the fine arts and humanities librarian.
5% Training, Development & Projects
- Participates in training opportunities for job-specific and developmental purposes.
- Participates regularly in Operations Manager & Leaders meeting, Circulation Forum and other department/division meetings.
- Engages in special projects and/or duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of three years library or related experience.
- Minimum of three years supervisory experience.
- Two years of effective customer service experience.
- Educational background in art or relevant experience working in an art library.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively within a diverse community in a work and/or public service environment.
- Ability to pay attention to details with a commitment to creating and/or maintaining accurate records.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently in a continuously changing environment.
Contact Information to Applicants
Additional Candidate Instruction
Applicants should attach a cover letter, resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references (including at least one previous or current supervisor) to this online application. Please use your cover letter to address how you meet the required and preferred qualifications. An online application must be completed to be considered for this position.
Application review begins Monday, October 14, 2019. To ensure consideration, apply by Sunday, October 13, 2019.
Advertised Salary Range
Starts at 47,493
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date