We are looking for a highly motivated and results oriented professional to fill the role within the organization of Visual Culture Archivist.
The Visual Culture Archivist manages, catalogs, curates, and promotes the visual culture collection of Kenan Research Center at Atlanta History Center. The duties of the position also involve developing grant-supported projects and reference duties.
- Work collaboratively with AHC Staff and key departments to understand institutional objectives and strategies related to AHC mission and other activities.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, donors, volunteers, senior managers, and trustees, with an emphasis on tact, diplomacy, flexibility, collaboration, professionalism, and discretion.
- Appraise visual collections received for acquisition; process collections, create finding aids; and train and supervise volunteers and interns.
- Assist in the ongoing development of procedures and guidelines of the Kenan Research Center
- Catalog images, film and video resources.
- Other responsibilities include collaborating with other departments in the review and implementation of best practices for the development and management of permanent collections; presenting at local or national conferences and providing consultation regarding collections and best practices.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in History, American Studies, Library and Information Science, or related field.
- 1-2 years’ experience in a university special collections, government or corporate archives, or historical society.
- Demonstrated communication skills including effective oral/speaking skills and writing skills.