Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a part-time Visual Resources Specialist to work in the Art and Art History Department. This position is responsible for maintaining and developing the Art & Art History Department’s digital image collection-and supporting the use of digital media in teaching and research. It also provides integral departmental support for the teaching of Art & Art History. This position requires approximately 17.75 hours a week. Apply by July 20, 2019.
- Work with Art Historians on image scanning and procurement. Provide teaching materials and classroom technology support for faculty upon request.
- Provide support for the departmental web page and community outreach, including advertisements, posters, and social media
- Curate, maintain and develop the Art & Art History Digital Image Collection
- Oversee student workers and schedules. Initiates and supervises image acquisition, quality, description, and access
- Create and maintain data dictionary with set vocabulary for consistent searches
- Serves as a local resource for technical support and specialized questions in digital media
- Works with Gallery Curator to create a database of Macalester Art Collection
- Bachelor’s degree in Art and/or Art History required
- Minimum of 1 year of Visual Resource experience required
- Required experience with content management systems (CONTENT dm), Xcel, ArtStor, PowerPoint, Photoshop, and knowledge of digital scanning techniques and standards
- Experience with Macintosh and PC platforms required
- Proﬁciency in digital imaging practices and metadata standards (Dublin Core/VRA Core)
- Basic knowledge of art history and knowledge of CAA and VRA Fair Use Guidelines
- Excellent technical skills, with speciﬁc knowledge related to digital imaging and database management and use of Photoshop
- Basic proﬁciency to be able to manage digital projectors, professional ink jet printers, digital cameras, computers, and other digital tools
- Ability to work creatively and effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Experience with budget management
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than July 20, 2019.
Review of applications will begin immediately. This posting will remain open until filled.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
This position is not eligible for beneﬁts but has access to Macalester community beneﬁts and discounts. For more information, please visit our website at https://www.macalester.edu/employmentser vices/beneﬁts/.