Under the direction of the Head Librarian, the Reference Archivist provides leadership in the administration of reference service and archival collection processing at the Music Library & Bill Schurk Sound Archives (MLBSSA) and to the BGSU community and the public, including both in-person and distance inquiries; serves as webmaster for the MLBSSA in the University Libraries; coordinates print digitization activities in the MLBSSA; and assists with audio digitization activities. The position supervises public-service student assistants, organizes circulation of materials, assists with public outreach activities such as tours and class presentations, selects content for digital exhibits, and consults on displays of MLBSSA materials. In absence of the Head Librarian, supervises permanent employees and serves as the head of the unit.
Essential Duties, Tasks, & Responsibilities:
- Serves as Reference Specialist at the Music Library & Bill Schurk Sound Archives and provides specialized reference services and serves as a subject expert for specialized reference to students, faculty, and researchers. Coordinates and oversees all aspects of reference services for the MLBSSA, including providing training, supervision, and evaluation of student employees, graduate assistants and MLBSSA staff assigned reference duties. Manages all aspects of the MLBSSA Reference Desk. Plans and conducts implementation and evaluation of reference services and access to materials. Prepares and monitors the annual student employment budget.
- Processes archival collections as needed, including organizing, arranging, and describing the collections. Assists with creating and modifying finding aids and collection-level catalog records for materials. Creates LibGuides. Selects content for digital exhibits and contributes to displays of MLBSSA materials.
- Participates in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of MLBSSA digitization projects for print materials and assists with digitization of audio materials, including making decisions about access and preservation of digital objects
- Manages circulation operations and trains other staff in circulation processes; oversees stacks maintenance including shelving, general order, searching, stack labels and signs.
- Serves as the Music Library & Bill Schurk Sound Archives webmaster. Includes working with the UL webmaster, determining content standards (within the guidelines set by BGSU and UL), structure and organization of the MLBSSA website, the technical preparation of documents, images, and files to be added to the website, and the uploading, maintenance, and revision of data. Contributes to MLBSSA blog and social media.
- Participates in public outreach activities of the MLBSSA, including providing tours and presentations on MLBSSA holdings and their research value to BGSU classes and off-campus groups.
- In absence of the Head Librarian, supervises permanent employees and serves as the head of the unit.
Master of Library Science (MLS), Bachelor’s Degree in Music required. Successful candidate must have Master’s and Bachelor’s degree conferred at the time of application.
The following experience is required:
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a music library (2 years graduate experience acceptable)
- 1 year supervisory experience
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 354. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Computer skills including web design and digitization of print materials (required)
- Strong oral and written communication skills (required)
- Knowledge of classical and popular music literature and music reference sources (required)
- Knowledge of copyright as it relates to digitization (required)
- Supervisory experience (required)
- Familiarity with finding aid creation (required)
- Familiarity with ArchivesSpace (preferred)
- Experience with academic instruction (preferred)
- Bibliographic familiarity with Western European languages (German, French, Italian) (preferred)
- Familiarity with Avalon media streaming platform (preferred)