Site description: The Art Reference Library is a 45,000 volume non-circulating library that provides reference service to the art museum staff (curators, educators, conservators) and the public at large. The library not only houses books and periodicals, but also holds an extensive auction catalog collection and an artists’ files collection of ephemera material. We also provide online access to auction, bibliographic, and reference databases. (https://ncartmuseum.org/art/library/)
Dates of Internship: August 26, 2019-December 5, 2019, with potential for renewal in Spring 2020
Hours: Maximum 10 hours / week. Hours are flexible within a Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm work week, but the intern is expected to set and maintain a consistent schedule.
Compensation: $16.00 / hour
Application Deadline: August 12, 2019, with interviews to follow.
Under the supervision of the Librarian and the Library Assistant, the Cataloging Intern performs copy cataloging based on current standards. The intern will also assist with other projects as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform copy cataloging of library materials
Education and Experience:
- Current enrollment in an accredited graduate information and library science program
- Experience in copy cataloging and classification of library material Library of Congress (LC) subject headings, machine-readable cataloging (MARC) records, and RDA preferred
- Experience with computerized cataloging databases
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and procedures of professional library work including
methods, practices, and techniques of library copy cataloging and classification
- Knowledge of computerized cataloging and bibliographic databases
- Strong analytical and organizational skills – detailed-oriented
- Ability to work independently
- Interest in art history and/or museum experience
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work is performed in an office environment in the Art Reference Library
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position, needs to occasionally move about the library, and position self to retrieve books from lower shelves
- Must be able to concentrate on detailed information over an extended period
- Ability to effectively use a computer
Application Procedure: Please submit via e-mail, as a single .pdf, your résumé along with a single-page cover letter expressing your interest in this internship. Please include contact information for at least one reference.
Send Application Materials to:
Natalia Lonchyna, Librarian
The North Carolina Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam-era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may contact Human Resources or call (919) 664-6894.