Library: Albino Gorno Memorial Library / Conservatory of Music (CCM) Library
The CCM Library’s Cataloging Specialist offers a motivated, music professional an opportunity to develop skills through experiential learning with respect to core functions of music librarianship and to gain an overview of music cataloging workflows. Actively assists the library’s Head with envisioning new approaches to instruction related to critical listening to music on sound recordings. Receives and catalogs music scores and sound recordings, supervises the processing and binding of music scores, performs online record maintenance for books, music scores, and sound recordings. Works independently and with a high attention to detail.
This position is a full-time, four year term appointment.
Reports to the Head of the CCM Library, but is under the general direction of the Assistant Music Librarian. Supervises student(s), including a student assistant in bindery routines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives training to develop skills through experiential learning involving the core functions of music librarianship.
- Receives training to gain an overview about the care, binding, and cataloging workflows of different kinds of physical sheet music and sound recording formats.
- Performs high-level copy cataloging of special formats, principally music scores and sound recordings, according to current cataloging standards. Provides LC classification and subject analysis.
- Assists the library’s Head with envisioning new approaches to instruction related to critical listening to music on sound recordings.
- Supervises preparation of music scores for binding; hires, trains, & supervises student assistant in same.
- Processes monographic and music score continuations, including binding preparation and record maintenance.
- Performs intermediate online record maintenance for books, music scores, and sound recordings.
- Supervises in-house processing of music scores, labeling of books and scores, and receiving of scores and sound recordings.
- Coordinates with Preservation Services on binding issues.
- Provides support to the Circulation Supervisor with supervising students working at the Circulation Desk, helping to ensure that it is staffed at all times when the CCM Library is open.
- Master’s degree in music and one year’s work experience in a music library -OR- five (5) years’ work experience in a music library; degree and experience must be related to position specifications as outlined in the job posting.
- Proficiency in at least one European language in addition to English.
- Demonstrated experience with classroom instruction.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and computer database software.
- Working familiarity with LC classification and current cataloging standards (e.g. RDA), preferably applied to music formats.
- Working knowledge of a second European language in addition to English.
- Advanced knowledge of music history and critical thinking about music.
- Works independently and with a high attention to detail.
- Candidates are required to submit a cover letter and resume with their application.
- The search committee will begin reviewing applications on June 20, 2019.
To Apply: https://jobs.uc.edu/job/Cincinnati-Cataloging-Specialist-OH-45201/565082300/?utm_campaign=BLANK