Are you someone who:
- Is detail-oriented and able to focus primarily on one project?
- Works well independently?
- Has extensive knowledge of cataloguing best practices?
If so, then the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago is looking for you!
We have an opening for a part-time temporary Project Cataloguer. Under the supervision of the Director of Library and Museum Services, the Project Cataloguer will help facilitate greater access to the MCA’s Artists’ Book collection, which includes about 3,000 books and multiples. The Project Cataloguer will be responsible for updating and entering legacy cataloguing information into the Library’s ILS, Koha. The Project Cataloguer will perform original and copy cataloguing, perform subject analysis, and apply subject metadata to items in accordance with local standards and best practices. To be successful in this role, you must:
- Perform original and copy cataloguing for books and objects in Koha according to local standards and best practices; perform subject analysis and add metadata as needed.
- Review the legacy cataloguing sheets for accuracy and make any necessary adjustments or additions; convert information from cataloguing sheet into metadata that meets local standards and best practices.
- Identify and report re-housing and preservation needs.
Desired qualifications include an ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library science, information studies, or equivalent degree (strongly preferred, though applicants currently enrolled in a library science program with completed coursework in cataloguing will be considered), minimum one year of experience working in a library or archive is preferred, and:
- Original and copy cataloguing experience is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current bibliographic standards (MARC 21, AACR2, RDA, Library of Congress subject headings, and Getty Vocabularies) is required.
- Knowledge of artists’ books and book arts is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with integrated library systems and web-based applications and the ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and successfully demonstrated initiative and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of contemporary art is strongly preferred.
This is a temporary, part-time position with a flexible schedule of 16-24 hours/week within Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Ability to operate computers, printers, and telephones and general mobility throughout the building required. Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Interested? APPLY NOW https://mcachicago.org/About/Employment
P.S. The MCA provides great benefits to part-time staff that include: visiting the MCA’s galleries, curator led staff tours of MCA exhibitions, discounts at the MCA Store and MCA restaurant Marisol, discounts for MCA Stage and other programs, plus a wide variety of discounts at many cultural institutions in the Chicagoland area.
The MCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. In addition, we aspire to make the MCA community and our environment – staff, audiences, artists, programs, and exhibitions – reflective of the diversity of the city of Chicago and to capture the spirit of access, inclusion, and equity in all we do. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: email@example.com