Reports to Director of Library Services
Pay Grade E, Exempt; Full Time
Compensation $45,146 to $48,699
Year round, Mon-Fri, Full Time.
Cornish College of the Arts Library seeks a collaborative, service-oriented Performing Arts Librarian to work with our students, faculty and staff in a community that is well-respected in the visual and performing arts for developing our learners as artists, citizens and innovators. The Performing Arts Librarian brings subject specialization in the performing arts to reference and instructional services and is responsible for Interlibrary Loan.
Cornish Librarians provide required information literacy instruction for all students in the first year. There is well-developed scaffolded instruction in years 2-4 in Theater and Performance Production and we are in the process of working with Music and Dance to develop similar scaffolded instruction.
Cornish Librarians familiarize themselves with reference resources in all subject areas of the college curriculum and engage in a certain level of cross-training to make sure everyone is proficient in basic circulation services and some technical services as necessary. The Library is a team-oriented environment where the Librarians share responsibilities in reference and instruction services, collection development, and assessment. The Library plays a key role in fulfilling the college’s mission. To that end, Cornish Librarians promote an inclusive and welcoming environment for the community to engage in research and reflection.
1. Participates with other librarians in providing reference service, including:
- keeping regularly assigned hours on the reference desk
- assisting patrons with the library catalog, research databases, web searching, and developing search strategies
- assisting with copy machine, library lab computers, printers, audiovisual and media equipment, and other public service equipment as added to the library
2. Participates with other librarians in providing information literacy instruction, including:
- library orientation
- research methods
- library catalog, research databases, and web searching
- writing research tutorials, finding aids, and subject bibliographies; especially in support of the performing arts
3. Participates in the planning, design, coordination, promotion, and assessment of library instruction including:
- developing information literacy curricula especially in support of the performing arts
- developing assessment methods for learning outcomes and program outcomes
- collaborating with faculty to integrate information literacy instruction with the curriculum
- engaging in current professional development for information literacy instruction pedagogy and practices
- tracking session/class level assessment data using Credo Instruct and other instructional tools.
4. Coordinates the preparation of year-end, program-level assessment reporting for information literacy instruction.
5. Maintains and compiles reference and instruction statistics.
6. Functions as the contact person for MLIS graduate interns doing field work
7. Manages interlibrary loan service, including:
- coordinating incoming ILL requests
- timely processing of ILL transactions using OCLC WorldShare software
- labeling ILL material for borrowers and placing on hold
- monitoring overdue notices and billing for ILL transactions
- maintaining and compiling ILL statistics
8. Contributes to collection development with selection and order requests for titles as identified and needed, especially in the performing arts.
9. Writes and maintains procedures for areas of responsibility.
10. Provides essential services backup as needed when other library staff are on leave.
11. Completes other duties as required or assigned by the Director.
- Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS or MLIS) from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program; or comparable experience
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in the performing arts: theater, music, or dance; or comparable experience
- Reference Experience
- Information literacy instruction experience
- Demonstrated ability to work with computers in a networked or cloud based environment, including working with integrated library systems, online public access catalogs, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and standard office equipment
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse campus community
- Strong service orientation and ability to work well with all levels of patrons
- Must pass background check
- Occasionally required to lift objects up to 30 lbs
- Three years increasingly complex professional library experience
- Academic library experience
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of library materials and resources related to the visual and performing arts
- Ability to read music
- Experience with instruction assessment
- Experience with LibGuides
- Experience with Information Literacy Tools such as Credo Instruct
- Some background in a European language is helpful
Please submit the following items to our email, Careers@Cornish.edu:
1) Cover Letter or Letter of Interest
2) Resume or C.V.
3) Cornish College Employment Application (PDF available on our Careers page)
Equal Opportunity Statement: Cornish College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer intent on enriching the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students. Our goal is to create an intercultural learning environment comprised of people with varied experiences and perspectives. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups for all open positions.