POSITION: Design Librarian
RANK: Assistant or Associate University Librarian
REPORTS TO: Head, Architecture & Fine Arts Library
SALARY: Minimum Salary as Assistant University Librarian $54,035
Minimum Salary as Associate University Librarian $62,500
Actual salary will reflect selected professional’s experience and credentials
The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries seeks a creative and service-oriented Design Librarian. The Design Librarian is a year round (12-month) tenure-track library faculty position which will provide reference assistance, instruction, outreach and collection management to support faculty and student populations and the academic programs and research centers associated with the UF College of Design, Construction & Planning. The Design Librarian will work collaboratively with other members of the Architecture & Fine Arts Library faculty and staff to plan and deliver services to the wider audience served by that library, and to the University community. The Design Librarian will work collaboratively with faculty and staff associated with the Architecture Archives/Department of Special Collections & Area Studies to build collections, provide services, and plan events related to those materials.
The library encourages staff participation in reaching management decisions and consequently the Design Librarian will serve on various committees and teams. To support all students and faculty and foster excellence in a diverse and global society, the Design Librarian will be expected to include individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientation, and perspectives in work activities and decision making. The Design Librarian will pursue professional development opportunities, including research, publication, and professional service activities in order to meet library-wide criteria for tenure and promotion.
- Serves as primary liaison between the Libraries and the College of Design, Construction & Planning administration, faculty and students, taking initiative to identify and meet their resource and service expectations and to facilitate ongoing communication regarding library resources and services.
- Develops collections in a systematic and balanced manner, selecting both current and retrospective materials in appropriate formats to support the curricular and research needs of the university community.
- Provides both general and specialized reference and instructional services.
- Creates instructional materials, including online research guides and tutorials.
- Contributes to the efficient management of the Architecture & Fine Arts Library’s facilities, public service programs, and technical functions. May be assigned to coordinate or manage activities or personnel in one or more areas.
- Works collaboratively with faculty and staff associated with the Architecture Archives/Department of Special Collections & Area Studies to build collections, provide services, and plan events related to archival collections.
- Contributes to the Libraries, the University, and the profession through substantive scholarship and professional service activities.
- Performs scholarly research and provides service at the institutional and professional levels as related to assignment and in accordance with tenure and promotion criteria
- Participates in Libraries’ fundraising and grant-seeking efforts.
To apply, submit 1) a cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position; 2) a written statement regarding strategies for outreach to faculty and students in the design disciplines (250 words); 3) your current resume or CV; and 4) a list of three references including their contact information (address, telephone number, and email). Apply by September 17, 2018 (applications will be reviewed as received). Submit all application materials through the Jobs at UF online application system at Requisition 508409. Failure to submit the required documents may result in the application not being considered. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact Bonnie Smith, George A. Smathers Libraries Human Resources Office, at email@example.com.
- Master’s degree in Library or Information Science; or, advanced degree in a discipline related to design, art, or art/architectural history plus 2 years academic library work experience.
- Appointment at the Assistant University Librarian rank requires two years of academic library, post graduate degree, experience
- Broad knowledge of art and design literature and research methods
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong outreach commitment
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with faculty, students, administrators, and the general public
- Flexibility, and the ability to adapt to change
- Strong potential for and commitment to meeting the requirements of tenure and promotion outlined at http://library.ufl.edu/cdh
- Graduate degree in Library or Information Science
- Degree in a design discipline, art, art/architectural history, or related field
- Experience working in a research, academic, or design firm library
- Experience managing collections in an academic or research library
- Experience or expertise in the development and delivery of research instruction
- Experience working with architectural archives collections
- Competence with information technologies
- Experience or interest in marketing services and collections via social media
- Record of including individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, gender, gender identities, sexual orientation, and perspectives in research, teaching, service or other initiatives
Original Post on ALA Joblist: https://joblist.ala.org/job/design-librarian/43063320/