As part of a long-standing agreement between two committed institutions, the Worcester Art Museum Library serves as the Fine Arts branch of the College of the Holy Cross Libraries. The Worcester Art Museum Library serves not only Museum and Holy Cross constituents, but also the public, including families and community members from the broader Worcester area.
The College of the Holy Cross is seeking an energetic, poised, assertive Head Librarian for the Worcester Art Museum’s next phase in strategic planning. S/he manages all aspects of the library, and reports directly to two division managers: Head of Research, Teaching & Learning at the Holy Cross Libraries, and Director of Museum Services at Worcester Art Museum. The Museum is currently planning a master redesign, and the Library will be a key part of that planning, involving a physical move of the collection within the Museum campus. Our next Head Librarian should have knowledge or experience in issues concerning library facilities, as well as the confidence to promote best practices and advocate for new ideas and programming as the Library moves to its next phase within the Museum. The Head Librarian should be able to work independently, maintain the physical collection with an eye toward preservation, and foster a robust relationship with Holy Cross students and faculty, and the Holy Cross Libraries staff. The Head Librarian will be a part of Research, Teaching & Learning, and will participate in regular meetings on the HC campus as well as strategic planning for the RTL team and for the library as a whole. Equally, s/he will participate in division meetings, programming, collaboration, and strategic planning for the Worcester Art Museum. This position supervises a half-time Assistant Librarian as well as a dedicated team of volunteers and students. The Head Librarian works independently on select days of the week, and must be self-motivated and able to set achievable goals for the growth and success of the Library.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Art History; ALA-accredited MLIS
- Preferred: MA in Art History
- Required: Excellent communication skills, not only for prepared presentations but also for unplanned meetings with faculty, administration and donors
- Preferred: Experience working in an academic research setting or equivalent, providing research expertise to students and faculty
- Preferred: 3-5 years demonstrated experience as a leader and manager
- Preferred: Experience working with advancement or development offices toward fundraising and grant development
- Required: Basic knowledge of image discovery/access system management
- Required: Intermediate knowledge of library systems and current practices
- Required: Basic understanding of copyright law, intellectual freedom, and ethical use of information
- Engagement in the museum library profession, including participation in appropriate professional organizations.
- Excellent administrative skills, and ability to work well with colleagues.
The successful candidate will be engaged in the museum library profession, possessing excellent administrative skills, and ability to work well with colleagues. Will demonstrate commitment to librarianship in general, and museum education and librarianship specifically. Possess a demonstrated knowledge of relevant curriculum and resources in academia, with a high comfort level in presenting to a group. Willing to work on a team toward a common goal, easily collaborating with colleagues. Ability to mentor student workers, staff and volunteers. Commitment to professional development and scholarship; participation in the broader professional community. Understands, values and respects diversity as an individual, in a team and within groups while fostering an inclusive and supportive environment.
Original Post on ALA Jobslist: https://joblist.ala.org/job/art-museum-librarian/42635530/