Under general direction of the Croll Senior Curator of American Paintings, the Sargent Archives and Special Collections Archivist will oversee the archiving activities of the Sargent archives, including the housing, transcribing, and entering into the database of the items, and, when time, work on other Museum owned artist’s archives. This is a one-year, termed position from the start date.
• Prepare and organize archival records, such as document descriptions, to allow easy access to information in the Museum’s database.
• Working closely with our Conservation and Collections Management department, preserve records, documents, objects, or other formats as necessary, including housing, scanning, and transcribing materials.
• Assist with the organization and reorganization of storage as the collection grows.
• Research, catalogue, and write curatorial recommendations on new acquisitions for the Sargent archives and other artist’s archives as necessary.
• Establish and administer policy guidelines concerning public access and use of the Sargent archive. Will schedule and oversee visits of individuals and classes who wish to visit the collection, arranging for spaces and proper handling of materials. Will take out and put away work from the collection requested by visitors.
• Help maintain relationships with collectors of Sargent materials and respond to their needs regarding their collections; i.e. research, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree; 3 to 5 years of related archival experience
• Experience using a museum or collection database (TMS preferred)
• Experience with and knowledge of best practices in handling art and historical objects, including paper, photographs, and other ephemera
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com. You may also submit your materials via postal mail to: Human Resources Department, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.