Assistant Librarian (Part-time)
Job Title: Assistant Librarian (Part-time)
Part-time & temporary 3-month term only, with a possibility of renewal
Reports to: Director of the Library
Date Revised: February 22, 2018
Overview: Reporting to the Director of the Library, the Assistant Librarian supports the day-to day operations of the Library’s public services and the two materials libraries. S/he is an integral part of the Library’s public services team for providing instructional, reference, and circulating services to library users. During the closing shifts and in the absence of the Librarian, s/he manages the Library’s circulation and reference desk and supervises student workers. The Assistant Librarian performs a variety of system maintenance tasks, such as updating the Library’s website and online subject guides and maintaining other electronic tools and platforms pertaining to public services. S/he may need to perform tasks and projects related to the NYSID Archives & Special Collections.
· Assist the Librarian with the operations of circulation and reference services and delivering library instruction sessions to NYSID students, faculty and staff; answer reference queries and help patrons locate items and resources in the library and archives, and through online databases.
· Manage the day-to-day public services operations and supervise student workers during closing shifts and in the absence of the Librarian.
· Assist the Librarian to manage the two materials libraries on the main campus and at the Graduate Center.
· Assist the Librarian to coordinate the schedule and content of the Library’s instruction program; conduct any library instruction sessions assigned within his/her schedule.
· Working with other librarians, update the Library’s website and online subject guidelines on a regular basis to ensure the accuracy and currency of the information and content represented on those online platforms.
· Resolve technical issues related to the Library’s online resources.
· Working with other librarians, actively explore and implement new library/information technologies pertaining to the Library’s public and instructional services.
· Perform tasks and projects related to the NYSID Archives & Special Collections on an as-needed
· Other duties, projects and activities as may become necessary.
· MLS from an ALA-accredited institution (candidates pursuing an MLS degree at an ALA-accredited institution will also be considered).
· Bachelors in art history, fine arts, design, or architecture preferred.
· Some circulation and reference experience in an academic and research library environment highly desirable
· Experience using an integrated library system, particularly its circulation module, desirable.
· Proficiency in WordPress, LibGuides, Omeka, and other library and information technologies pertaining to library public and instructional services.
· Strong technical skills of evaluating and employing a variety of new Web tools, systems platforms, and social media channels to facilitate and promote library services and operations.
· Proficiency in MS Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills for lectures, presentations, and working with library/archives users and staff.
· Professional committee memberships/activities in related organizations, such as ARLIS/NA, VRA, AASL, ALA, or ACRL, desirable.
· Ability to work independently, be flexible, have high attention to detail; a proactive problem solver.
· Friendly, with strong service orientation and good people skills.
· Former teaching or library instruction experience highly desirable.
· A commitment to user-oriented library services.
· General knowledge of art, architecture, and design research resources preferred.
· Required to cover evening and/or weekend hours during the academic school year.
· Ability to perform physical activities associated with library collections.
How to Apply
· Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest and relevant experience to email@example.com with “Assistant Librarian (part-time)” in the subject line.