About Sotheby’s Institute of Art
Founded in 1969 by Sotheby’s auction house, the Sotheby’s Institute of Art (SIA) is the first and foremost graduate school for the study of art and its markets. Located in one of the most vibrant art cities of the world, Sotheby’s Institute of Art-New York (SIA-NY) has been an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) since 1989 and holds degree-granting authority from the Regents of the State of New York. With campuses in New York, London, and Los Angeles, the Institute continues to offer innovative and progressive academic and professional training to prepare students for exciting careers in the art market. Today, the Institute’s more than 6,000 alumni hold leadership positions worldwide in auction houses, galleries, art fairs, museums, and art organizations.
SIA-NY is seeking a Reference/Cataloging Librarian to provide reference, cataloging, instruction and access services for Sotheby’s Institute of Art – New York (SIA-NY). Reporting to the Head Librarian, the Reference/Cataloging Librarian assists in building and cataloging print-based and online collections, providing on-site library services and library research education in support of Sotheby’s Institute of Art New York’s academic program. Adheres to the highest service standards and administers the library’s resources to provide excellent support to students, faculty and staff. Shares responsibility with the SIA Libraries team for long-range strategic planning for the library, fostering a creative, collaborative and team-oriented work-environment. Contributes expertise to improve coordination of service procedures and understanding of reader expectations.
Job Responsibilities include the following but the individual will also be expected to perform all the duties necessary which are customarily performed by a person holding this position. Other duties may be assigned.
· Plans, monitors and evaluates reference and cataloging services of the SIA-NY library including: information and instruction services, cataloging of collection materials, maintenance of the integrated library system, electronic and print course reserves, the SIA-NY library website and inter-library loan.
· Assists with maintenance and continued development of the library website by facilitating design and content planning.
· Assists in managing licenses and access for electronic resources.
· Works closely in conjunction with academic staff, administrative staff and students to ensure the continuing relevance of materials and services provided.
· Contributes to the development of local- and system-wide policies and procedures and continues to be professionally active both at SIA-NY and in library, scholarly and/or academic organizations.
· May be assigned weekend and/or evening hours during the Fall and Spring terms.
Knowledge and Abilities
· Ability to provide research and reference services
· Knowledge of integrated library systems, library applications and other information technologies
· Knowledge of the subject areas of the library collections
· Proven computer skills and knowledge, including proficiency using applications such as MS Word, MS Excel, plus a high level of comfort working with technology and troubleshooting initiative
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills required for working in a small team and for working within the broader context of the Institute
· Strong sense of initiative
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· A desire to work with the public is essential
· Ability to be present in the office
· Ability to pass a background check
· an ALA accredited MLS or its international equivalent
· a degree or proven interest in art history
· minimum of 2 years experience as an information professional
· work experience must include not less than one year in a fast paced, customer-oriented service work environment
· Strong professional English language skills, both written and spoken
· Foreign language skills desirable, but not required.
· Authorization to work in the United States is required
Sotheby’s Institute of Art offers a competitive salary that is based on education and experience.
· Email your resume and a cover letter to: opportunities@
· In the subject line of your email enter: “Reference/Cataloging Librarian”
· Only qualified candidates should apply