The Wadsworth Atheneum, the oldest continually operating public art museum in the United States, was founded by Daniel Wadsworth in 1842. Today the collection exceeds 50,000 works of art, spanning more than 5,000 years. The Wadsworth Atheneum has always been a resource for the local community, as we work to welcome new and existing audiences.
Reporting to the Head of Library and Archives, the Assistant Librarian and Archivist performs a wide-range of tasks associated with the physical and intellectual organization of the Auerbach Art Library and Museum Archives. The Assistant Librarian and Archivist provides reference and research assistance to the museum’s staff, docents, external patrons and community partners. The primary responsibilities include cataloging, organizing, processing and preserving library and historical resources, preparing guides and finding aides, reference services, and participation in all aspects of library and archival work.
The regular work schedule for this position is Tuesday through Saturday.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in art history, history or studio art; and Master of Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution with coursework or concentration in archives management.
· Three (3) years’ experience in an art library, museum, or academic library, cataloging (both original and copy cataloging) and fielding reference questions. Plus, one (1) to two (2) years’ experience in archival management and special collections required.
Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of current archival description standards, including experience in creating finding aids, and knowledge of MARC21 cataloging formats.
· Proficiency with integrated library systems and database management systems.
· Ability to inventory and assess collections and deaccession resources when appropriate.
· Understanding of appropriate preservation practices for rare books and other special collections materials.
· Reading knowledge of art historical French and/or German desirable.
· Superior verbal and written skills; and dedication to providing excellent customer service.
· Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
· Ability to respond quickly to unexpected challenges and shifting priorities.
· Aptitude in MS Office programs including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: