In an academic environment where the arts are increasingly dynamic, evolving, and relevant, the Art and Design Librarian leads efforts to connect people, services, and content to a multifaceted faculty, student body, and community. The successful candidate will be proactive, user-centered and identify opportunities for library engagement with both digital and traditional arts scholarship, exhibitions, and projects, and will help lead University Libraries in creating a wide-ranging support agenda for arts research and scholarship across the University. The Librarian will promote engagement with the arts and design disciplines at the University, and specifically support scholarship in collaboration with other units and visual arts leaders in the campus community and in the Columbus area. The Librarian will liaison with the Wexner Center for the Arts, Hopkins Hall Gallery, ACCAD (Advanced Computer Center for the Arts and Design), and the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum as they grow support of the visual and performing arts through its Arts Initiative. The Librarian will work with the Collections Strategist. The Librarian will be committed to supporting efforts to foster diversity and inclusion in library, university, and professional contexts. The candidate will have a capacity to thrive in a changing work environment and fulfill position expectations as outlined below. This position reports to the Head of the Arts Cohort.
· Champion the library as an intellectual meeting place for programming, content, and inquiry.
· Actively engage and communicate effectively with faculty, students, and staff in areas of Art; Arts Administration Education & Policy; Design; and History of Art to develop strong collaborative relationships and deep partnerships.
· Communicate the value of scholarly communication, digital initiatives, the development of new online tools, copyright, data management, affordability, and the integration of information literacy skills into the curriculum and the impact to the arts community.
· Anticipate and respond to users’ research and information needs throughout the research lifecycle.
· An ALA-accredited master’s degree, a master’s degree with specialization in archives, a master’s degree in museum studies or a comparable graduate degree in one of the above fields from a non-U.S. university, reviewed on a case by case basis.
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with researchers, subject librarians, special collections curators or others to advance innovative arts research and promote integration of visual arts approaches to enrich the curriculum and research.
· Commitment to librarianship, scholarship, and service which are required criteria to meet University and University Libraries requirements for promotion and tenure. https://library.osu.
· Advanced training or degree in art, design or related discipline relevant to the collections and users of an art or design library.
· Familiarity with traditional research methods along with emerging technologies in the visual arts.
· Previous experience in an academic library or an organization serving a visual arts community.
· Knowledge of collection management practices and information resources for art, art history, and design disciplines.
Discover Ohio State:
For 147 years, The Ohio State University’s campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It’s where friendships are forged. It’s where rivalries and revelry are born.
The University’s main campus is one of America’s largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio’s best and one of the nation’s top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
University Libraries provides patrons with access to information at 13 locations across the Columbus campus to support the research, teaching and learning needs of students and scholars, Buckeyes and beyond. We offer services and educational resources that open minds and advance equity, inclusion, and diversity in the pursuit and sharing of knowledge. Our libraries provide access to deep research collections, an extensive offering of online resources available anytime anywhere, and special collections of exceptional quality and distinction. Our facilities offer work spaces designed to enable a variety of learning styles and research methods. We strive to provide convenient, ubiquitous resources and services – in your home, in your office, inside one of our welcoming facilities, or wherever your scholarly pursuits lead you. Librarians familiar with the subject areas and expert in associated research techniques are available for consultation. Additional information about The Ohio State University Libraries is available at http://library.osu.edu.
This is a full-time, permanent, 12-month appointment. For appointment as a tenure-track faculty member, the candidate will be required to meet university and Libraries requirements for promotion and tenure. Salary, position type, and faculty rank are dependent on qualifications and experience.
All of the benefits available to you reflect Ohio State’s commitment to provide high-quality, affordable plans and represent a significant component of your total rewards for working at Ohio State. The University offers competitive benefits in the form of 22 days vacation, 15 days sick leave, 10 holidays, medical, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, and life insurance at 2.5 times one’s annual salary. State and alternative retirement choices are also available. For a summary of benefits, see: https://hr.osu.edu/new-
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications received by October 1, 2017. Please send cover letter, CV, references, and salary history and requirements to Kristin Gall at email@example.com. Please include Art and Design Librarian in the subject field.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.