S/he delivers research and instructional services to The New School students, faculty, and staff. Duties are concentrated in subject areas related to design. This is a full-time position. The position reports to the Assistant Director for the Instruction Unit within the Research and Instructional Services (RIS) department who reports to the Director for Research and Instructional Services.
The Subject Librarian’s responsibilities include:
- Serve as liaison to the Fashion Design, Fashion Studies, Product Design, Industrial Design, Photography, Illustration, Graphic Design, Communication Design, and Design and Technology programs by providing: outreach, instruction, 1-on-1 research assistance, reserves and new program support, coordinating collection development, creating online guides and tutorials.
- Provide excellent internal/external customer service.
- Coordinate with co-workers to deliver general research services through a tiered reference model.
- Engage in outreach and communicate effectively with users to raise awareness of the libraries’ services and collections.
- Design curriculum and instruction in information literacy, including information technology and participate in assessment; work with faculty to provide course-integrated instruction.
- Assist in identifying and exploring opportunities for expanded instructional services.
- Maintain current knowledge on relevant subject resources and participate in local and national professional associations and professional development activities in order to stay current with trends in academic libraries.
- Serve on a library working group.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree from a four-year program
- ALA-accredited MLS
- Background or strong interest in teaching and curriculum development
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to thrive in constantly evolving environment and eager to facilitate innovative change
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- More than 2 years relevant work experience
- Master’s in relevant subject area
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of current instructional technologies
- Exemplary teaching skills or training experience
Open Until Filled
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter