Curatorial Assistant (one-year, fixed-term) | Architecture and Design
Assists senior curator and curatorial team with administrative, logistical, and research tasks in preparation for an upcoming modern and contemporary fashion design exhibition (scheduled to open in the fall of 2017) and accompanying publication. Supports the preparation of checklists, loan agreement forms, and related educational materials. Assists in scheduling work to be done within the Museum as a liaison with various internal departments. Researches and writes correspondence with external parties, including institutional and individual lenders to the exhibition, and external design collaborators. Assists in compiling, organizing, formatting, and editing exhibition and catalogue data for completeness and accuracy. Supports catalogue preparation, including obtaining image rights for publication, print, and digital use. Supports the production and preparation of wall texts and labels. Assists with a variety of other editorial, administrative, and organizational tasks for the exhibition. Performs research support functions for the exhibition, including library and archival research on the history of 20th-century fashion design. Reports to Senior Curator, Department of Architecture and Design.
- Master’s degree or equivalent graduate work in design, art, architectural history, or curatorial studies.
- Specialization in modern or contemporary fashion design history, specifically in textiles and garments, and a strong knowledge of relevant current and historical scholarship in the field preferred.
- Strong and comprehensive experience within a museum institution working on exhibition planning and administration, including working with museum collection databases and multi-departmental liaising a plus.
- Familiarity with researching archives, securing copyright permissions, and clearing image rights highly preferred. Excellent writing, research, and organizational skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Strict attention to detail with a rigorous approach to tasks.
- Strong initiative and ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines.
MoMA Jobs application guidelines
If you would like to submit your resume and cover letter for consideration, please choose one of the following options:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org (most preferred option)
By fax: (212) 333-1107
By mail: The Museum of Modern Art
The Department of Human Resources
11 West 53 Street
New York, NY 10019
Full post: https://www.moma.org/about/jobs