The Akron Art Museum, with its mission to enrich lives through modern and contemporary art, seeks a Collection Manager to oversee the proper care and management of the museum’s collection and all art objects in its custody. With collections exceeding 5,000 objects, including paintings, sculptures, photography (an area of special strength) and works on paper dating from 1850 to present, the museum presents 12-15 exhibitions annually featuring work from its collections and loans from artists, collectors and museums throughout the country and abroad. The Collection Manager reports to the Chief Curator and supervises a Library and Archives Manager.
KEY DUTIES include responsibility for
- records of the collection and exhibition materials.
- supervision and control of the storage of art, maintaining and updating inventory records.
- preparation of all legal documents pertaining collection management, loans, and conservation.
- the care and condition of art work.
- transportation of art works in the permanent collection and from outside sources and coordinating museum-generated traveling exhibitions.
- developing and monitoring budgets for activities pertaining to the documentation, safekeeping, and protection of the collection.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.A. in Museum Studies, Art History or related field, M.A. preferred; minimum three years relevant museum experience.
- Experience as a museum registrar.
- Excellent organizational and communications skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office and with EmbARK or other collections management software.
- Knowledge of insurance, packing, transportation, digital asset management, museum record-keeping and conservation standards and resources.
- Ability to communicate up-to-date museum standards and professional practices with staff and other museum professionals.
- Experience developing and implementing policies.
- Ability to manage multiple, ongoing projects simultaneously.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Advanced art handling experience.
- Supervisory experience.
Download the attached file to view a full job description.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources, The Akron Art Museum, One South High Street, Akron, OH 44308 or HR@akronartmuseum.org.
Application review will begin on October 7, 2016.