This position is located in the Curatorial Office of the Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM). The purpose of the position is to carry out assigned and approved projects in the four areas of curation: research, exhibits, development & management of collections and public service and to initiate and propose related projects for review by the Chief Curator and Director. Incumbent should have knowledge of the broad field of American art but will specialize in the field of graphic arts and artists.
- Conducts research on graphic art in the permanent collection.
- Publishes significant research related to graphic art collection.
- Establishes contacts with donors and dealers and negotiates for gifts and purchases. Proposes objects for acquisition.
- Proposes & develops exhibition topics.
- Ensures completeness and accuracy of all published information associated with exhibitions, including catalogues, brochures, installation graphics and wall text.
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
You must meet these Basic Requirements:
- Degree: museum work; or in an applicable subject-matter field.
- Combination of education and experience — courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
- Four years of experience that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study as shown in A above.
In addition to the Basic Requirements above, you must have the following Specialized Experience:
- GS-11: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined as experience in researching and coordinating exhibitions of graphic art within an art museum or similar environment.
- GS-12: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined as experience in researching, developing, interpreting and exhibiting a collection of graphic art within an art museum or similar environment.
Deadline to Apply: September 19, 2016