The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
The First Review Date for this job is: 8/4/2016
The Arts & Humanities Division includes Art History/Classics, South/Southeast Asian Library, Graduate Services, Morrison Library, and the Hargrove Music Library. These libraries and units are primary service points and provide research-level print and digital collections to support the research and teaching programs of the units in Doe Library serving patrons in the visual and performing arts, humanities (languages & literatures), and area studies; and departments served by the Hargrove Music Library.
The position serves as the acquisitions assistant for the art history and classics collections, supporting collection development through purchasing, inventory, and materials processing. The position will assist the Art History/Classics librarians with processing of monographs, serials, and donor gifts, collection audits and other special projects as assigned. In conjunction with unit staff, the position provides public services in the form of assisting daytime circulation services coverage and providing directional/informational advice to the public. The incumbent is expected to possess knowledge of the materials encompassing the art history and classics collections; experience with standard library technical services procedures, and the ability to collaborate on projects with other units in the Arts & Humanities Division. Also, may assist in the content management of online subject guides, social media and participate in councils, groups, and task forces when appropriate.
- English language proficiency to communicate orally and in writing with persons of various backgrounds.
- Knowledge of the art and classics book trade and reference sources.
- Demonstrable experience using library catalogs, integrated library systems, bibliographic records monographic and serials processing policies and procedures.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, problem solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Experience with standard office and collaboration software (MS Office, Google Drive).
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) and work in a team.
- Ability to complete detailed work accurately and complete projects on time.
- Experience with monograph and serials processing in Millennium and/or Sierra integrated library systems.
- Experience with one or more western European languages.
- Experience working in an academic library.
- Purchasing/procurement experience for an organization or group
Salary & Benefits
The hourly salary range for this position is $19.44 – $25.28. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html.
To apply, search for the job announcement through the UC Berkeley job portal: http://hrms.berkeley.edu/jobs.html.