The L. Douglas Wilder Library and Learning Resource Center Library/ Collections include over 170,000 volumes, 256 subscriptions, and a wide variety of electronic resources. The Special Collections is a growing collection of rare books, photographs, manuscripts and sheet music. The University Archives serves as the official repository for the archival records of Virginia Union University. The archives collect and make accessible official university publications and records that document the history of the University. It houses the L. Douglas Wilder Collection that memorializes the life and career of Virginia’s 66th Governor (1990-1994), the first elected African American governor in U.S. history and Virginia Union’s most celebrated alumnus. The Virginia Union University art galleries include collections of African Art, Art from the South Pacific and African American Folk Art.
The position provides public service to the library’s Special Collections and Art Galleries and research and instructional services to patrons. It promotes the use of the collections through collaboration with faculty and other historic and art institutions. This position reports to the Director of the Wilder Library and supervises student assistants.
- Assist with materials preservation, archives management, indexing, and collection development in Special Collections, Archives, and Galleries
- Assist patrons doing research in Special Collections and Galleries
- Answer public inquiries and provide Gallery Tours
- Assist with the promotion of Special Collections and Galleries both on campus and to the wider community through exhibits, presentations, programs, and collaborations with other historic and/or art agencies.
- Serve as library liaison to selected academic departments
- Regular reference duty including some evenings and weekends.
- As a member of the library faculty, attend faculty, staff, and special meetings and participate in staff workshops and activities as appropriate
- Communicate with the library director regularly to report activities and evaluate policies
- Actively pursue professional development through service on library and university-wide committees, participation in professional organizations, review of professional literature, and perform other duties as assigned.
- MLS from an ALA accredited institution
- Knowledge of archives/museum management and preservation procedures
- Familiarity with archival technologies, including microfilming and digitization
- Strongly preferred – background in art and/or museum studies
- Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Strong patron service orientation
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, faculty, and students in a culturally diverse environment
The salary is commensurate with experience. Librarians have faculty status and an excellent benefit package.
The application packet should contain a letter of interest, resume, and three letters of recommendation. The package should be mailed to: Virginia Union University, Office of Human Resources, 1500 North Lombardy St., Richmond, VA 23220. Applications may also be e-mailed to Resumes@vuu.edu.
More information: http://www.vuu.edu/employment_at_vuu/public_service_librarian_-_special_collections_and_art.aspx