The Center for Puppetry Arts Museum seeks a Collections Manager to assist in all areas of collections management and exhibition registration. Reporting to the Exhibitions Director, the incumbent will manage and maintain the museum’s object, archival, and library collections. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, cataloging and condition reporting incoming donations, managing the collections management database system (PastPerfect) and assisting with exhibitions, including the installation and de-installation of special and permanent exhibitions. The Center currently holds over 3000 items in its collection, including a recent donation of over 400 items from the Jim Henson Collection.
- Manage and maintain object, archival, and library collections.
- Catalog, condition report, and re-house all incoming donations and any items going on or off exhibit.
- Process paperwork for accessions, incoming loans, and outgoing loans.
- Manage the museum’s Past Perfect database.
- Manage contract conservators working on puppets from the Jim Henson Collection and the Global Collection on an as needed basis.
- Work with Preparator on finding appropriate mounting solutions for pieces going on exhibit.
- Is responsible for ongoing inventory of museum collection.
- Manage artifact checklist for special exhibits and permanent gallery rotations.
- Work with Exhibitions Director and Preparator in installing and de-installing exhibitions.
- Prepares monthly report of potential artifact donations to the collection for the Acquisition Committee to review.
- Monitor Gallery and Collections Storage temperature and humidity rates.
- Supervise library patrons and handle research requests.
- Oversee Collections Management interns and Library volunteers.
- Assist Exhibitions Director in research for new exhibitions.
- Will occasionally need to assist with museum programming as well as evening and weekend events (advance notice given for all shifts).
- Possess a B.A. in History, Public History, Museum Studies or related field (M.A. preferred).
- Have a minimum of 2 years museum experience in registration and/or collections management with demonstrated proficiency in database management (PastPerfect experience is a plus).
- Successful candidates must be extremely detail oriented and self-motivated. Must be able to work successfully alone and in a team environment.
- Candidates must have knowledge of standard museum policies and procedures according to AAM standards and knowledge of standard museum cataloguing systems.
- The ideal candidate will possess patience, persistence, flexibility, and a good sense of humor.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION:
Please mail your resume, along with a letter of interest and salary history and requirements to: Kelsey Fritz, Exhibitions Director, 1404 Spring St. NW, Atlanta, GA 30309-2820 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Center for Puppetry Arts job postings: http://www.puppet.org/about/work-with-us