Reporting to the Head of the Digital Production Department, the Digital Production Manager oversees the daily operations of the Digital Production Lab to ensure the safe and effective digitization of archival and library materials. The Digital Production Manager hires, trains, and supervises staff and student assistants in the areas of imaging, post-capture processing, quality control, optical character recognition, and digital file management. This position is responsible for monitoring digitization workflows, policies, and standards, and performing quality control and image archiving of scanned materials. The Digital Production Manager works closely with curators and the Libraries’ digital team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages the operations of the Digital Production Lab to provide digitization archival and library material for the Libraries’ digital projects, client requests, exhibitions, and internal needs.
- Leads in the development, maintenance, and evaluation of policies, procedures, goals, and workflows for digitization activities.
- Works closely with members of the distinctive collections, Cataloging & Metadata Services, Digital Strategies, and necessary stakeholders.
- Serves as a local authority and expert regarding digitization standards, keeping abreast of relevant developments and best practices.
- Oversees and develops documentation, training, and quality control procedures for digitization processes and projects.
- Supervises library staff in digitization projects, including two full-time digitization technicians.
- Hires and supervises student employees, including training and monitoring productivity.
- Ensure effective training in the creation, manipulation, and uses of digitization equipment, software, and digital files.
- Makes recommendations regarding the design of workflows and the tools necessary to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of local digitization practices, including hardware and software recommendations.
- Collaborates on the development of grant proposals and in the administration of awarded projects.
- Assists in digital asset management activities for the long-term storage of digital files.
- Works with Systems Administration & Support, IT, and others to ensure optimal functioning of equipment, hardware, software, and server space.
- Gathers statistics on digital production on a regular basis for purposes of reporting and budgetary analysis.
- Serves on/participates in University and Library committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate.
- Two years’ experience working with digitization hardware and software in an academic digital library environment.
- Awareness of current issues and trends in the digitization of library and archival materials.
- Experience with digital imaging equipment, such as flatbed scanners, digital cameras, scanning backs, slide scanners, sheet-feeders, etc.
- Experience manipulating and processing digital images using Adobe Photoshop.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the technical processes of photography.
- Experience working with archival and/or special collections materials in an academic or research environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately in a service and production-oriented environment, and adapt to changing trends.
- Ability to plan and implement routines and processes that ensure optimum production, and monitor projects through to completion in a cost-effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse constituents.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, meet deadlines, and establish appropriate priorities, as driven by operational, developmental, and managerial needs.
- B.A in photography with a focus on digital imaging or studio photography.
- Supervisory experience, especially the ability to provide leadership to staff with highly technical duties in a collegial manner in a constantly changing environment.
- Experience in teaching and training digital technologies as it related to training staff.
- Successful experience coordinating large projects with multiple stakeholders.
More information and application: http://um.hodesiq.com/job_detail.asp?JobID=5279680&user_id=&ViewAll=&emid=3640