This Digital Specialist – Library Technician II position will support the development of digital collections by creating digital resources, building metadata, and supporting increased access to materials in the institutional repository. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Create digital resources from diverse textual documents, graphic illustrations, photographs and other resources, according to established guidelines and standards.
- Ensure high quality and accessibility of resulting resources by using software tools to reformat, adjust, and correct resources as necessary.
- Perform quality control reviews on all formats of digitized resources.
- Support the creation of digital collections by assigning and maintaining appropriate metadata for image, audio, text-based, and other formats for the Libraries’ digital collections by working with the digital team.
- Use established and emerging standards (e.g. Dublin Core, XML, EAD, etc.) and local library policies and procedures, assists librarians and supervisors in selecting, defining, and applying metadata for those collections.
- Support the creation of digital collections by assisting the supervisor in coordinating digitization projects, based on previously established priorities.
- Prepare digital, resources, including born digital and other files, for ingest into the institution’s digital repository by reviewing digital resources for errors and edits the content of digital objects and metadata.
- Add digital objects and metadata to the digital repository.
- Assist supervisor by securing permissions to digitize materials.
- Assist supervisor by determining priorities and workflows.
- Assist supervisor by recommending, developing, and writing procedures.
- Prepare and keep statistics.
- Assist the supervisor by securing permissions to digitize materials for which the Libraries does not own the copyrights.
- Assists with the priorities of the department by coordinating with the unit’s student supervisor in overseeing project-based assignments. This may include hiring student assistants, overseeing their work for selected projects, and performing quality control reviews on their work for project-based assignments.
Two years of experience performing digitization and metadata processes typically performed in a library, archives, museum, or other cultural heritage organization. Digitization may have included multiple formats such as negatives, photographs, and textual materials.
The highly desired candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities, personal characteristics, and experience directly related and critical to this position:
- Demonstrated experience using digitization equipment and software to process multiple formats
- Demonstrated experience creating Dublin Core metadata.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment and make decisions regarding the best course of action for digitization after thorough analysis of materials.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills demonstrated through work experience as a team member and patron/customer assistance
- Demonstrated ability to remain flexible and transition smoothly from one task to another with frequently changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to manage time effectively and work independently in order to accomplish job tasks accurately and efficiently
More information and application: https://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/33720