The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Margaret Herrick Library is seeking a Conservation Technician to assist the Conservator with a variety of conservation and preservation tasks. Qualified applicants will have a Bachelor’s Degree and at least two years of applied experience in the conservation of paper-based collections in a library/museum/archives setting or a private conservation lab. The applicant should be well versed in acceptable handling and storage practices for book and paper collections, be familiar with condition reporting and building basic housings. The position reports to the Conservator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Basic book, paper and photograph conservation treatments with full documentation, under the supervision of the Conservator.
- Assist the conservation staff with more complex conservation treatments.
- Fabricate/adapt specialized storage housings for the collection.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Monitor the Library environments; i.e. Integrated Pest Management and collecting data for environmental logging equipment.
- Assist with general lab duties and supplies maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- At least two years of experience in library preservation or paper conservation.
- A working knowledge of accepted conservation standards, practices and terminology and of proper use of conservation tools, equipment and supplies.
- Aptitude for detailed hand work and superior manual dexterity.
- Ability to work independently following instructions set by the Conservator and comfortable interfacing regularly with other staff and interns.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with PC platform and databases.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Neatness and ability to share work space respectfully with other staff.
- Job duties entail standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time with occasional climbing, bending and kneeling.
- Capability to lift and/or move up to 50lbs
The Margaret Herrick Library has extensive and comprehensive research collections on the subject of motion pictures including posters, production and costume drawings, books, periodicals, screenplays, photographs, manuscripts and ephemera as well as other special collections relating to prominent industry individuals, studios and organizations.