The Cisneros Fontanals Art Foundation, is a non-profit organization established in 2002 by Ella Fontanals-Cisneros and her family to support artists who are exploring new directions in contemporary art. CIFO fosters cultural understanding and educational exchange through three primary initiatives: a Grants and Commissions Program for emerging and mid-career visual artists from Latin America; an exhibitions program showcasing work by Latin American artists and international contemporary art from the Ella Fontanals-Cisneros Collection at the CIFO Art Space; and foundation-initiated support for other arts and culture projects.
The Ella Fontanals-Cisneros Collection is seeking a Registrar in Miami, Florida who will be responsible for the management of the Collection and for the implementation of approved policies and procedures for the management of the Collection and the records pertaining to the Collection. This position supervises a team of Art Handlers/Installation crew.
- Development and maintenance of the Collection’s computerized database as well as object and curatorial files
- Responsible for working with the Chief Curator and guest curators providing collection reports and accessibility to objects and documentation for exhibition and research purposes
- Responsible for the registration, photography, condition reporting and data entry of acquired works
- Manages collection in storage and on exhibition, and oversees collections conservation and inventory projects
- Supervise and manage information for insurance reports including periodic review of insurance values
- Reviews and recommends works to be conserved and restored; facilitating their treatment
- Supervises appropriate housing and care of the Collection including climate-control and pest management programs
- Implements security procedures
- Identifies and contracts with appropriate freelance conservators as required, and maintains all collections conservation records, surveys and reports on treatment programs
- Responsible for the coordination of movement of artworks and objects
- Oversees copyright and reproduction requests as it relates to the permanent collection
- Supervises all aspects of the Collections’ outgoing loans including loan processing, documentation preparation and maintenance, condition reporting, contracts, courier arrangements, crating, shipping, insurance and customs
- For installations, tracks objects selected for forthcoming exhibitions and works with exhibit teams in exhibit planning, production and implementation
- Responsible for producing label copy when needed; overseeing format and editing for corrections
- Provides information to other departments as needed
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- When required, support during install and de-install of CIFO Grants and Commissions exhibitions
- Employee must live within commutable distance to Miami, Florida. We will not be responsible for relocation.
- A Master’s degree (preferred) or a B.A. (required) in museum studies, history of art, photography, visual arts or information management or business administration, with a specialty in arts collections administration or equivalent museum collections experience
- A minimum of three years of experience as a Collections Manager or Registrar in a museum or private collection with an active collections and exhibitions program
- Direct work experience in a management role with supervisory responsibilities
- Experience insuring outgoing loans and a permanent collection
- Extensive knowledge of collection management systems and procedures
- Ability to achieve cross-functional teamwork and a desire to function in a team environment
- Ability to achieve and sustain best Collections practices
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational abilities, manage multiple deadlines
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with MS Office and database experience
E-mail resumes to email@example.com (incl. salary requirements).