Textile Arts Center (TAC) is a NYC-based resource facility dedicated to raising awareness and understanding of textiles through creative educational programs for children and adults. At TAC, we aspire to unify the textile community and advocate for the handmade by providing accessible, skills-based classes that reinvigorate engagement with traditional crafts.
The TAC Internship Program is designed for students, artists, and hobbyists interested in gaining valuable experience in a creative, mission driven arts center. Fall and Spring Internships are generally a 4.5 month commitment, unless otherwise discussed, and take place in either our Brooklyn or Manhattan studios. Together we create a schedule for each intern that covers approximately 15-20 hours per week. Preference is given to current students who are receiving school credit, but credits to take classes at TAC are also provided for all accepted interns.
The library intern will work with the Studio Manager and the Director of Artists Programs + Outreach to make the TAC library an accessible resource for instructors, students, and visitors. Responsibilities will include: restructuring the library’s organization system, creating borrowing procedures, and designing the library space. A background in library work and archival studies is ideal but not required.
Benefits of interning at TAC include…
- Association with a small but growing arts center focused on the textile and fiber community that holds classes, workshops, exhibitions, guest lectures, and screenings
- The opportunity to connect and learn from esteemed teachers, artists, and designers from the textile industry and art world
- Hands-on learning opportunities, including exposure to specific techniques and skills
- Access to our facilities and equipment
- Free classes!
- Collaborative + communicative environment – new ideas are always welcome! Interns are an integral part of the TAC team
Internship duration: 4.5 Months, 20 Hours/wk
Application Deadline: July 10th, 2016
Interviews: July 18 – August 5, 2016
Acceptance By: August 12, 2016
Internship Dates: September 6 – January 15, 2017