* Fall Session: September-December (12-15 weeks)
* Application Deadline: July 15th, 2016
The Center for Puppetry Arts seeks an intern to assist the Collections Manager in the Museum department. This internship grants broad hands-on experience in collections management and preventive conservation with emphasis on object handling, cataloging, rehousing, and condition reporting. Tutorials and workshops will be conducted to expose the intern to various aspects of the collections field. Duties include assisting the Collections Manager with a complete collections inventory, processing acquisitions, building blue-board boxes, maintaining documentation in the Past Perfect database, and condition reporting objects. The intern will work on the permanent global collection, as well as the Jim Henson collection.
A large project of the internship will include assisting the Collections Manager with a complete inventory of the Museum collection. By the end of 2015, the entire Museum collection will be placed in new on-site collections storage. In order to apply for AAM Accreditation and to resolve discrepancies due to multiple storage locations, a complete inventory will be done. In addition to the physical checking of objects and their locations, each object will also be photographed, notes made regarding condition, and if necessary, rehoused. This is a great collections care project for someone interested in pursuing collections management or registrar work.
The intern would work approximately 10-15 hours per week during the quarter/semester for a total of between 150 and 250 hours. Those hours may be worked in any combination at the discretion of the intern and the supervisor. This is an unpaid internship and is considered a volunteer position. Course credit may be given for the internship.
The ideal intern:
- Has a background in museums, public history, or a related field
- Is reliable, organized, and detail-oriented
- Is able to take direction as well as work independently
- Has previous experience in collections management and object handling
- Has previous experience with Past Perfect or a similar collections database (preferred)
- Is interested in pursuing a career in collections management or registration
The main duties of the intern will be:
- Assisting with a complete inventory of the Museum collection.
- Supporting the Collections Manager in all aspects of collections management, re-housing, and preventive conservation, including: object storage, cataloging, photography, condition reporting, and documentation
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Internship Application
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Course Requirements (if applying for school credit)
PLEASE SUBMIT ALL MATERIALS TO:
Center for Puppetry Arts
ATTN: Internship Coordinator
1404 Spring St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30309
In Subject Line: “Name” – “internship applying for”
(Example: John Smith – 2016 Spring Collections Management Internship)
Fax application to 404.873.9907
Please note any attachment over 10 MB may need to be sent in separate emails.
No phone calls please; if you have questions, please email Megan Montague at
Center for Puppetry Arts job postings: http://www.puppet.org/about/work-with-us