The purpose of this job is to manage the historical photograph and still image unit of the West Virginia and Regional History Center. Duties include responsibility for preservation, access services, reference services and rights and reproductions. The requirements of this position include working on Tuesdays from 1pm to 9pm and on Saturdays from 9am to 5pm.
40% Manager, West Virginia Historical Photographs Project
- Immediate management of project to create digital photographs online resource containing approximately 50,000 historical photographs for display on WVU Libraries website.
- Supervises up to six student workers who create digital images and accompanying metadata records for inclusion in project database. Includes training, assigning work, providing guidance, and resolving problems.
- Participates in selection and reviews photographs for entry into digital photograph database.
- Reviews and edits all scanned images and metadata records.
- Forwards completed records to cataloging librarian for additional subject heading assignment.
- Communicates with Libraries Systems staff regarding work progress, database issues or problems as they arise.
- Alternate for retrieving collections, making photocopies for patrons, and reshelving materials
30% Photograph Reference, Rights and Reproductions
- Provides reference services regarding historical research relating to WVRHC photographs holdings.
- Manages handling of all requests for reproduction and use of images, including questions relating to WVRHC Conditions for Use and copyright issues.
- Determines user rights and reproduction fees following WVRHC policy.
- Manages photographs reproduction services including electronic editing of images and production of photograph prints on in-house photo finishing equipment.
- Maintains records tracking photograph reference and reproduction services.
20% General Reference Services
- Provides reference services regarding historical and genealogical research to researchers in the WVRHC.
- Assists researchers in identifying pertinent archival, print and electronic resources, and provides instruction in their use.
- Maintains daily paper ledger of researchers and the manuscripts collections and boxes used.
- Instructs researchers in handling and use of rare and fragile materials.
- Monitors researchers for possible theft or destruction of archival materials
10% Conservation / Preservation / Arrangement
- Assesses photographs’ need for care and performs basic preservation measures accordingly.
- Participates in storage and arrangement of photographs and negatives within established system.
- Upgrades indexing under supervision of curatorial staff as required.
- Associates Degree in History or other relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s Degree Preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience working in a library, archive, museum or similar institution.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software relevant to scanning, editing, and printing historical photographs.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software relevant to creating metadata catalog records for archival materials.
- Knowledge of historical and contemporary photographic media and techniques.
- Ability to train, supervise, and motivate student employees.
- Knowledge of West Virginia history and historical research techniques.
- Familiarity with mainstream computer software for word processing, spreadsheet applications, and Internet access.
- Knowledge of proper procedures, including the caution and dexterity necessary, for handling and organizing archival materials.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with departments and unit within WVU Libraries and the University, as well as the general public.
- Knowledge and understanding of WVU policies that are directly applicable to the operations of the WVRHC.
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission and goals of WVU Libraries.
- Ability to draw valid conclusions and make recommendations for case-by-case problems normally encountered in cataloging and preservation.
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment weighing as much as fifty pounds.
More information and application: https://wvu.taleo.net/careersection/staff/jobdetail.ftl?job=03177