The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco (the de Young and Legion of Honor) are seeking a temporary Image Production Technician. Under supervision of the Director of Photo Services and Imaging, the Image Production Technician performs all aspects of production to produce image databases of the Museums’ collections for use by the staff or patrons of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. They exercise care and skill in handling art based on training and experience and applies judgment in operating complicated equipment to capture images. The Image Production Technician follows established methods and procedures in the operation and maintenance of computer hardware and software related to the production of image databases and performs related duties as required. They also work closely with curators, registrars, conservators, technicians, and other staff related to work on the project.
Typical duties and responsibilities:
- Photographs the collection for internal database, publication on FAMSF website, and certain other publication and promotional purposes using digital capture systems.
- Undertakes activities related to image capture of the art collections including image editing with programs such as Photoshop; linking images files to related database records using collection management and asset management systems; transfers image data to servers.
- Photographs objects as needed for special projects.
- Photographs completed gallery and exhibition installations as needed.
- Maintains internal image and records serving gallery kiosks as needed.
- Handles art safely and expertly in accordance with the Museums’ guidelines for art handling in the process of photography.
- Stays abreast of current photography methods and the computer systems necessary for efficient, high quality production.
- Researches purchase of new equipment; may make recommendations about procedures associated to media production.
- Maintains inventory of media equipment and resources such as, image capture devices, photo supplies and materials. Contacts service technicians as needed.
- Assists the Museums’ staff in activities such as image capture, image database production and media maintenance, and provides instruction for use of image database.
Education and Training: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in photography and/or computer science, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Work Experience: At least three years of increasingly responsible experience in various phases of digital photography and related photographic studio work in a museum environment or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Skills and Abilities:
- Requires considerable technical knowledge of production of photography and ability to operate various types of photographic equipment.
- A current knowledge of the principles of visual communication through the use of various image capture, production, and database techniques.
- A good facility with computers and various programs such as Photoshop, Microsoft Excel, email, collection management and asset management software.
- Knowledge of standard museum registration procedures and practices.
- Able to handle valuable and irreplaceable works of art skillfully and with extreme care.
- Knowledge of art history and terminology.
- Ability to work in teams with other staff, and to follow directions accurately.
- Must be methodical, systematic, attentive to detail and self-motivated.
Hourly rate of pay: $22.85
There are NO benefits associated with this position.
The anticipated end date for this position is June 2, 2016.
Application Deadline: April 24, 2016
More information and application: http://famsf.snaphire.com/jobdetails?jobmc=13435IND