Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
As a member of the Digital Initiatives and Scholarship Department, the Digital Collections Librarian will provide strategic and innovative leadership for the burgeoning digital asset management and preservation program of the Swarthmore College Libraries. The Digital Collections Librarian will be responsible for the planning, operations, and management of this program, and will manage the lifecycle of our digital assets and projects, from the acquisition or creation of digital objects to their long-term preservation. In collaboration with the College’s special libraries and/or TriCollege colleagues, s/he will develop and implement strategies, best practices, policies, and processes to support the access, management, and preservation of our analog-to-digital and born-digital assets. The Digital Collections Librarian will also play a vital role in collaborative processes to evaluate, select, and implement software solutions that support our digital assets.
S/he will develop our digital collections by identifying materials currently held in our physical collections and/or by reaching out to campus constituencies. S/he will work directly with members of the campus community to identify potential projects and to contribute materials appropriate to our collections. S/he will work with subject librarians and faculty to support teaching, research, and scholarly activities which integrate the Libraries’ digital collections, and may provide instruction on topics such as personal digital archiving and preservation best practices. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- 2 years’ experience working with digital collections or archives.
- Experience working with digital asset management, digital repository, and/or digital library systems (e.g. DSpace, Fedora, CONTENTdm).
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of digital preservation systems, standards, best practices.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to work effectively in teams that encompass a range of roles and knowledge.
- Flexibility, intellectual curiosity, and willingness to take initiative.
- Demonstrated experience in managing digital collections projects.
- Understanding of archival theory and best practices as they relate to the processing and management of digital collections.
- Experience with tools used to capture, manage, and deliver born-digital materials
- Ability to analyze a range of tools and technologies, and to implement those which improve workflows, access, or preservation of digital objects.
- Strong decision-making and project management skills.
More information and application: https://www.higheredjobs.com/search/details.cfm?JobCode=176256852&Title=Digital%20Collections%20Librarian