The deadline for this job competition is May 2nd, 2016.
Simon Fraser University Library invites applications for a Librarian for Interactive Arts & Technology and Publishing. Reporting to the Head, Fraser Library, this full-time, term (August 2, 2016 to July 28, 2017) position will be based at Fraser Library, Surrey campus and will support the School of Interactive Arts & Technology (SIAT) at the Surrey campus and the Publishing program at the Vancouver campus.
This position will be attractive to a very adaptable and innovative individual with excellent communication and collaborative skills and a strong public service focus; one who is highly motivated to embrace new technologies and to provide services to faculty and students.
- Act as liaison between the SFU Library and the faculty, staff and students in SIAT and Publishing at the Surrey and Vancouver campuses.
- Promote library services and collections and report the discipline’s requirements to the appropriate area of the library.
- In collaboration with Collections Management develop, assess, and manage information resources in all formats to address the teaching and research needs of SIAT and Publishing. This may include maintaining the collection policy; maintaining profiles for approval plans; reviewing subscriptions; selecting material; providing budget oversight; other collection activities.
- Communicate with faculty and students in SIAT and Publishing about trends in scholarly communication and publishing, and promote the library’s programs in this area.
- Provide instruction and assistance to students and faculty in the use of information sources through instructional seminars, guides, and individual consultations.
- Provide in-person and online reference service in all disciplines as a member of a team serving students and faculty in an active research environment.
- Work with other library staff on project teams and committees.
- Develop professional knowledge, skills, and disciplinary expertise on a continuing basis.
- Participate in professional organizations.
- Note that while the current assignment is for SIAT and Publishing, areas may be reassigned as needed.
- MLIS or equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Reference, collections, and instruction experience.
- Demonstrated ability to assist students and faculty in a busy research environment.
- Demonstrated ability to master electronic information sources thoroughly and quickly.
- Demonstrated skill in planning and delivering instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collegial team environment.
- Superior interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Reference and collections experience in a related discipline.
- Broad knowledge of bibliographic tools and electronic resources in a related discipline.
- Academic library experience.
- Experience with education technology products.
- Degree in related discipline.