Assist with all aspects of Fine Jewels catalogue production, preparation and promotion in order to gain independent working knowledge of jewelry cataloguing process. The Associate Cataloguer will also support various administrative and exhibition needs of the Fine Jewels team and greater Jewelry Department as required.
- Work closely with Senior Cataloguer to learn the cataloguing system and processes in order to develop fluency for catalogue descriptions, gemological terminology, jewelry dating, styles, makers, etc.
- Learn the process of producing printed and online jewelry catalogues including establishing property and photography deadlines to ensure prompt delivery
- Be responsible for entering catalogue descriptions in CAT system for Fine Jewels sales and other sales when required; assist in ordering the sale and assigning lot numbers in CAT; maintain and enter all salesroom notices; enter in all property designations
- Coordinate photography for all Fine Jewels catalogues including organizing and labeling jewels so that photography can happen most efficiently
- Research and write footnotes and/or biographies for use in catalogue and/or website. Also research and obtain the re-print rights of outside imagery when required.
- Liaise with Catalogue Production and the digital production team to meet catalogue deadlines and alert Jewelry Department when new assets are live
- Assist with promotional sale needs including Sotheby’s magazine, slideshows, ads, etc.
- Maintain jewelry archives and footnote archive system.
Other department duties:
- Learn to evaluate works for auction and appraisal purposes
- Maintain excellence in client service
- Assist with preparation of appraisals, proposals and special projects as required.
- Participate in all department events and pre-sale exhibitions to assist clients with jewelry inquiries, bids and related services.
- Work closely with administrator and registrar to ensure all agreed property is in the department and available for photography in advance of deadlines
- Assist with client appointments and help to respond to client estimate requests via phone and in writing
- 2 years of experience in the jewelry field (auction house experience preferred), with some knowledge of gemology, jewelry history and values
- Highly organized, detail-oriented
- Ability to prioritize multiple highly important processes and responsibilities and meet deadlines
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to establish close working relationships with internal support staff including administrators, operations, catalogue production, etc.
- Excellent client service, including verbal and written skills
- Excellent team player
- Proficient in Microsoft applications
- Requires flexibility in work hours as needed
More information and application: https://careers-sothebys.icims.com/jobs/1781/associate-cataloguer—jewelry/job?mode=job&iis=Indeed&iisn=Indeed.com&mobile=false&width=920&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240