Application Deadline: Apr 03, 2016
Start Date: Apr 26, 2016
Region: Metro Toronto Area
Art Metropole is a not-for-profit organisation with a focus on the production, dissemination and contextualisation of artist-initiated publication in any media, especially those formats and practices predisposed to sharing and circulation.
Art Metropole was founded in 1974 by the artists’ collective General Idea as an artist-run centre. Art Metropole is a not-for-profit corporation incorporated under the laws of the province of Ontario and a registered charitable organization.
Art Metropole is seeking a Shop Manager/Curator (Full Time)
Art Metropole is an internationally renowned artist-run centre that promotes the appreciation of conceptually based art and fosters a dynamic network of artist-initiated publishing in any media, especially those formats predisposed to sharing and circulation. Art Metropole specializes in the contextualization and dissemination of artist’s books, multiples, and related materials, including innovative formats and emergent technologies.
Reporting to and collaborating with the Executive Director, the Shop Manager/Curator is responsible for the interpretation, implementation and execution of Art Metropole’s mandate to support artist-initiated publication in all media. The Shop Manager/Curator is equally responsible for the organization and management of the shop and inventory, as well as the solicitation and display of materials and special editions for the purposes of sale in the shop, at art fairs and events, and through www.artmetropole.com.
Responsibilities for the Shop Manager/Curator position:
- Conceive and implement all curatorial activity for Art Metropole’s shop and exhibition space, in coordination with the Executive Director
- Assist in the development and administration of Art Metropole’s programming initiatives, events and publications
- Co-curate and represent Art Metropole booths and related programming activities at art and book fairs
- Assist with grant writing for projects and travel
- Oversee the intake and processing of inventory, and coordinate the planning of workflows for these processes with the Assistant Shop Manager
- Process shop sales and online orders and coordinate shipping with the Assistant Shop Manager
- Work with all staff to create and implement workflows for the display, sale and international distribution of artists materials and publications
- Actively seek out new material and new modes of circulation