The Ohio University Libraries invites applications and nominations for the entry-level positions of Subject Librarian for Humanities, one of two positions. These two (2) positions provide an ideal learning environment for new library school graduates or early-career librarians to develop general reference, collection development, teaching, and subject librarian experience, while also affording the opportunity for growth in subject-specific knowledge and the integration of new public service areas of librarianship. We seek innovative candidates who are looking to strengthen their academic library experience; comfortable in a changing environment; eager to engage stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced atmosphere; committed to working effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds; willing to learn and develop professionally; and energized by an exciting future.
The Subject Librarian for Humanities builds on relationships with faculty and students to identify opportunities for the development of new partnerships and to expand and strengthen existing services. These librarians provide excellent reference via chat, email, and consultation and develop innovative approaches to information literacy, collection building, and research support services. Reporting to the Head of Reference, as integral members of the Reference Department, the Subject Librarian also participates in the work of the department and provide reference services to the general campus community. This position is actively involved in library and campus committees and teams and is engaged with the library professional community.
Essential Functions for the Position
- Delivers online and in-person instruction and research assistance to students and faculty in synchronous and asynchronous learning environments
- Partners with faculty in developing students’ critical thinking and research skills
- Collaborates with faculty to ensure the collection meets their curricular and research needs
- Manages an acquisitions budget for purchasing materials in the discipline
- Participates in the daily work of the department including reference services, library instruction, and web content development
- Engages in regular professional development activities as part of a continuing commitment to increasing effectiveness
- Serves on library and campus teams and committees
- Actively engages with the library profession
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library/information science required at time of appointment. New MLS or soon-to-be graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated ability to teach research concepts and skills to users with varying information seeking experiences and abilities.
- Demonstrated understanding of information literacy issues in an higher education environment
- Undergraduate degree in the humanities; or previous experience providing reference services in an academic library
- Demonstrated commitment to data-informed decision making processes
- Ability to understand and manage materials acquisitions funds
- Ability to become proficient with disciplinary research databases and modes of scholarly communication
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of collection development and reference practices in a college or university library
- Demonstrated success promoting teamwork and fostering collaborative relationships
- Experience managing multiple, simultaneous projects
- Experience with reference, instruction and collection development in an academic library
- Experience with teaching and learning in an online environment
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Advanced degree in a humanities discipline
- Foreign language skills
- Familiarity with course or learning management systems
- Experience with web-based library applications such as Springshare products, discovery tools, and integrated library systems
- Familiarity with government documents collections or services
- Familiarity with library services directed to the first-year undergraduate
More information and application: https://www.higheredjobs.com/search/details.cfm?JobCode=176217301&Title=Subject%20Librarian%20for%20the%20Humanities