(Posting on behalf of a colleague at the Museum)
Corestaff Services is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Digitization Librarian for a one year assignment on a government contract. The position is located at a Museum Library in Washington, DC.
The Library requires the Librarian to manage a project to digitize approximately 600 rare books, thereby providing preservation and access of these materials. The physical digitization is performed by an outside vendor. A successful pilot project with the vendor has been completed, and a Librarian is being sought to move forward with full-scale implementation.
• Working with Library staff to determine publications to be included in the project based on established criteria, and to designate publications to be included in each shipment to the vendor performing the scanning.
• Retrieving and returning rare books from/to their designated storage.
• Assessing each item on the basis of condition; documenting condition issues; referring items for review and treatment by Conservation staff as needed.
• Reviewing condition of materials upon return from the vendor; documenting and reporting condition issues; rehousing.
• Tracking location/status of items throughout the project using the Library’s ILS (Voyager), the Library’s tracking spreadsheet, and/or other tools.
• Editing metadata from ILS to vendor format; transferring metadata to vendor.
• Packing/unpacking materials; exercising best practices in handling rare, fragile library materials.
• Coordinating materials pick up and delivery with vendor.
• Performing quality control on digital files and metadata returned from the vendor.
• Updating MARC records to include links to the digital surrogates.
• Coordinating digital asset management with the Digital Collections staff.
• Providing instructions and feedback to the vendor as needed.
• Training and reviewing other staff as needed.
• Documenting workflow and procedures.
• Reporting progress and issues to the Library Director or designee on a regular basis.
• Performing other digitization-related duties and routine library functions as
• MLIS and at least one year of experience or equivalent knowledge and experience (at least three years)
• Experience inputting data into an ILS
• Experience handling, assessing condition, housing and packing rare and fragile materials
• Experience conducting and/or managing a digitization project
• Knowledge of professionally accepted principles, techniques, and methods of
• Excellent organizational skills; attention to detail
• Reading knowledge of at least one European language and/or Hebrew or Yiddish
• Knowledge of the history of the Holocaust and related subject matter.
This is a full time position for one year with an hourly pay of $26.20 and benefits, including ten paid federal holidays, paid vacation, paid sick leave, ACA (Affordable Care Act) compliant subsidized health insurance and a company sponsored 401(k) plan.
Corestaff Services, www.corestaff.com is a nationwide professional staffing services firm, specializing in administrative/clerical, information technology and engineering, library/records management and human resources placement. Corestaff Services is an Equal Opportunity Employment Employer. People from racial minority groups, veterans and the disabled are strongly encouraged to apply. For consideration email your resume to email@example.com.