The Registrar’s Assistant will support the Registrar and Exhibitions Manager in the adoption of a new inventory system. Candidates for the Registrar’s Assistant role will be reviewed through a competitive, open process. The selected Registrar’s Assistant will work under the direction of the Registrar and the Associate Curator, Permanent Collection. The Assistant will be involved with a major digitization project involving the Studio Museum’s 2,000 object permanent collection.
Day to day tasks include:
- Migrating and creating database records in The Museum System (TMS). Accurately entering and managing all details of the Permanent Collection inventory, including cataloguing details, provenance, exhibition history, and literature references.
- Scanning and uploading object file documents and images to TMS database.
- Coordinating extensive photography for artworks, maintaining a schedule of photography shoots, and ensuring all images are executed in an appropriate format and in a timely manner.
- Labeling and properly storing all digital media assets on the server in clear folders and file structures.
- Cataloguing and conditioning artworks of various media.
- Managing conservation schedule (if necessary).
- Overseeing and possibly working in an off-site storage facility.
The Registrar’s Assistant is a paid, eighteen month-long commitment.
The ideal candidate should have an extensive understanding of Registrar best practices and Archive Management, with 2+ years of experience in a museum or related context. Candidates should have a strong attention to detail, be highly organized and capable of multi-tasking various priorities. Essential to this role are a love of data entry, excellent communication skills, and a positive, professional manner. Being proactive and having the ability to work both independently and as part of a small team are also key. Candidate should be proficient in both FileMaker platforms and TMS and have a working knowledge of Photoshop and Adobe Creative Suite.
More information and application: https://www.nyfa.org/Jobs/Show/627c4ca8-8602-4641-8b4a-988a67329f3f