Organization: Artifex Press
Location: New York, NY
Position Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Education: 4-Year Degree
Position Type: Internship Paid
Artifex Press, a publisher of digital catalogues raisonnés, is seeking an energetic and highly organized individual for a paid photography archives internship. This individual must possess technical expertise in photography, film scanning, and photography post-production.
Artifex Press is the first publishing company dedicated to the creation of comprehensive, publicly accessible, online catalogues raisonnés. Artifex Press’s first three catalogues are Chuck Close: Paintings, 1967-present, Jim Dine: Sculpture, 1983-present, and Tim Hawkinson. We are also working on catalogues for Sol Lewitt and Agnes Martin, with several more to follow.
The intern will be responsible for assisting the Archivist and Artifex staff with a range of photography-related tasks, including but not limited to:
- Handling original photographic materials including large format color transparencies (4×5, 5×7, 8×10, etc.), medium format film, 35mm slides, as well as a range of photographic negatives, and prints.
- Scanning, editing, retouching, and color correcting artwork photography using Adobe Photoshop.
- Digitizing moving images using various video capturing software. -Embedding digital photographs and moving images with metadata according to IPTC standards.
- Utilizing a digital asset management system to organize digital photographs, videos, and audio recordings.
- Assisting with graphic design projects for Artifex promotional materials -Performing administrative tasks as necessary
This paid internship starts immediately and requires a commitment of 2-3 days a week, with the possibility of more time for the right candidate.
- BA in photography or related field preferred (BA candidates are highly encouraged to apply). MA/MLIS candidates concentrating in library or archival studies and possessing exemplary photography and photo-editing skills are also highly encouraged to apply.
- Interest in contemporary art
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency with flatbed scanner and slide scanning
- Familiarity with IPTC metadata schema encouraged
- High technical proficiency in photography, photography post-production and color correction
- Keen attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
To apply, candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Artifex Press Archivist, Ashley Levine, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Original Posting: https://www.nyfa.org/Jobs/Show/782660e9-e631-45b5-b98e-8c3272b3ad82