The National Portrait Gallery’s Heinz Archive and Library is an important research facility housing a unique collection of reference material relating to British portraiture including 80,000 prints and drawings, 600,000 photographic and other reproductions of portraits, a collection of artists’ papers and research papers, the official records of the Gallery and a library of 40,000 books and 150 periodical titles.
Principal tasks include, in conjunction with the other Library Assistants:
- Coordinating the indexing of portraits illustrated or recorded in library publications according to established guidelines. This includes selecting images for indexing, creating electronic index records, and supervising volunteers who contribute to this work.
- Processing and maintaining library stock, performing edits in the library catalogue, participating in preservation activities, assisting with reorganisation of materials, and contributing to other ongoing projects working with books, periodicals and other published materials
- Supporting the public service of the Archive & Library, including, when required, invigilating the Public Study Room: keeping the appointments diary; answering preliminary enquiries in person, by telephone and in writing; providing general introductions and assistance; ensuring that conditions of access are observed and that fragile materials are handled safely; ensuring that visiting researchers, members of the public and staff can access the information they require.
- Helping to maintain the Public Study Room facilities in good order (e.g. photocopier, computers, finding aids, reference material, microform equipment).
- Undertaking ad-hoc projects and any other duties that may be required by the Head of Archive & Library or the Librarian.
The Library Assistant has day-to-day contact with the public and other gallery staff, and is responsible for providing them with an efficient and friendly information service.
The post holder will spend one day on duty in the Public Study Room (one half day on the enquiry desk and the other on call). The other day will be spent on other tasks, with special responsibility for indexing.
More information and application: http://www.npg.org.uk/about/jobs/library-assistant.php