Organization: Fergus McCaffrey Inc.
Location: New York, NY
Position Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Education: 4-Year Degree
Position Type: Full Time Permanent
Application Deadline: 11/02/2015
Position Summary: Reporting to the Senior Director of Artists and Estates, the Archivist is responsible for maintaining an archive of information, publications and information related to the gallery’s artists and periods in which the gallery collects.
- Carrying out relevant research, provenance, exhibition histories, historical references and literature for works in inventory
- Maintaining physical library of reference books, catalogues and other publications
- Maintaining a comprehensive, up-to-date archive of digital, video and print images
- Optimize digital image files
- Updating artist archive with images from off-site exhibitions (gather images from institutions).
- Provide content for the image, exhibition pages and artist profiles on the website
- Maintaining and updating artist bios and curricula vitae
- Responding to rights/reproduction requests for all image inquiries
- Providing assistance in all aspects of publications including liaising with writers, photographers, printers, designers and production staff to track schedule and deadlines
- Undertaking photo research
- Obtaining rights to use photos or materials from other publications
- Attention to detail and excellent organization skills;
- Ability to prioritize work, multi-task and meet deadlines;
- Excellent technical, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Consistency and reliability;
- A sense of teamwork in order to support staff members who work in various capacities.
Requirements: Previous experience as an Archivist in a high-end modern art gallery, museum or art publisher. Knowledge and experience of “best practices” of digital archive management. Excellent database, Excel and Word skills.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please email your resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Original Posting: https://www.nyfa.org/Jobs/Show/11a9f7aa-fce1-4be7-980a-1820e0876299