Museum Library Internship
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Library seeks a graduate student for an internship opportunity. This semester, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Library will be offering one (1) current MLS student or recent graduate an opportunity to gain experience in cataloging, reference, and a greater understanding to the multi-faceted workings of a small museum library.
- Perform general library maintenance, including book processing, shelving cataloged materials, and retrieving library materials from the stacks in response to reference requests from staff, volunteers or other interns.
- Assist in the cataloging of the library’s backlog of new and older uncataloged materials. Limited original cataloging for previously uncataloged books.
- Searching for matching MARC records with Z39.50 software, and importing records into the library’s MARC editing software, as well as importing records directly into our open source library catalog.
- Processing and shelving cataloged books.
- Assist staff and provide content for Findings (http://blogs.guggenheim.org/findings).
- Other projects TBD.
- Course work/Experience with original and copy cataloging, special collections, and reference services preferred.
- Knowledge of Library of Congress classification, subject headings, and authorities.
- Familiarity with RDA and current cataloging practices.
- Knowledge of modern and contemporary art.
- Ability to take direction and to work independently.
- Detail oriented,
Established in 1959 with the opening of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, the Library contains published resources that reflect and inform museum collections and exhibitions. The Library’s mission is to support research endeavors. The collection consists of literature focused on modern and contemporary art, architecture, and design, with emphasis on the museum’s international collections and exhibitions. Materials are collected in English and Western-European languages with limited selections made among other languages. Collection development methods include purchase, exchanges, gifts, and acquisitions of both newly-published and out-of-print materials.
If interested, please send a resume, cover letter, three (3) references to Jillian Suarez, Assistant Librarian at email@example.com.